[Project title WIP] Civ-style game updates

Name of Project: Not decided. BalanCiv? Suggestions welcome.
Link to the Project: Not yet published

I guess I should make a topic for this, instead of just posting in the general updates topic.

This is where I’ll put updates on my WIP civilization-style game. The gameplay will consist of building improvements such as cities, farms, mines and so on, in order to grow and balance your resources.

A screenshot:

The art for the game was made by me, in Blender.

All feedback is welcome!

25 Likes

looks awesome, do you think you’ll be able to add animated characters all over the village? just curious

8 Likes

That looks amazing!

6 Likes

Thanks! I could do that, but I don’t think I’m going to at this point. The animation would be too much of an increase in file size.

7 Likes

Siiick
Can’t wait!

5 Likes

Can I help?
I have ideas (:
Such as army’s to attack enemy bases (:
I can also make things (;
Also custom font would look nicer.

7 Likes

yea good point - does it take time to construct a building? eg 30 sec, 1 min

4 Likes

How about adding “school” to the game? Or if you tap the icon (like farms or mines, you can enter the place to check out! Planting things in the farm is also a good idea.

13 Likes

Welcome to the hopscotch forum!

6 Likes

I’ve spent maybe 5-15 minutes on every tile.

I’m not planning on adding AI players in this version. I might remake this later, though, and then I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

Ok. Have you used custom fonts before?

5 Likes

no, i mean when players like me or anyone on hs, how much time does it take to construct/level up a building? Eg a farm can take 10 seconds, but the most expensive building in the game will certainly take more than 1 minute to finish.

sorry, my english is limited

5 Likes

Ah I see. There are actually no build timers, everything is built instantly!

No worries, the misunderstanding was on me.

6 Likes

Yeah I have used custom fonts before.
Check my flappy bird game for custom font example

6 Likes

Some of the hexes are higher than others, is that intentional?

5 Likes

Name suggestions:

• Hopville (has that ever been used before??)
  • ScotchTown
  • ScotchVille
5 Likes

idk, but there’s funcity

edit: nop there’s np hopville

4 Likes

I love the art and how it’s been rendered! There’s good contrast between the light and shadows, and everything is clear enough to make out detail in the tiles. The tiles look pretty distinct from each other, in both colour and shape/silhouette variation.

One of the suggestions that my game design teacher taught us is that when things are duplicates of each other, it’s pretty quick for our brain to recognise patterns, and recognise that they’re the same thing but just repeated, rather than an organic structure like a forest or a mountain range. One way of introducing variation when re-using assets is to change the rotation slightly or flip them — for example with the trees, mountains or fruit market.

But I do realise that this might not be as feasible to do in Hopscotch though — since the shadows are pre-rendered, it would require having to change the rotation in Blender and re-export it, and have multiple of the same image in Hopscotch, which adds to project downloading time.

Other than that, the tiles line up really nicely — to the extent that the whole level looks like it’s in a 3d level editor to me, rather than in Hopscotch!

If you have time, I would be curious to know how you organised the hexagonal grid code to make it line up in Hopscotch while still allowing for height variation. (It seems like all the tiles are exported with the same height in Blender and from the same camera angle, and the height variation is done in Hopscotch?) I’m guessing that you also have to account for Z-index to make sure that the tiles display as intended.

9 Likes

It’s almost perfect! but tbh I think the tiles are a little bit messy, imo, it’s would be perfect if you fixed the tiles :)

4 Likes

(it’s a scrollable map)

5 Likes

@CreationsOfaNoob if you need help with custom fonts I’ve done code for it in beats joyride

4 Likes