Possibly a new music coding method? (Beta editor)

So earlier, I was working on my Thing with the new “play note” block, and I was already starting to miss coding music with the play sound block. Why? Because it was much simpler with the wait block instead of the rhythm. Do you think so too? If you do, I figured out a way to use the wait block, with the new “play sound” block!

How to

First, like in @GweTV’s tutorial, we will use a variable to recognize when we need to play a note! But this won’t be for notes, but chords! (Three+ notes combined together)

Now, do the following for every chord you would need for your song!
(For example, mine is D, F, and E.)

Note, to have no rhythm (wait time 0) just simply press the delete button

Great! Now start coding your song, like you would with “play sound”!
Now, of course the “play sound” block has a wait in it, so In this case, just add a wait button yourself!

Here’s an example of my song.

Quick tip: If you want your music to sound good and not off, make sure the wait time is a dividable(?) of 1. What I mean is like, 0.5, 0.25, 0.125.

And there! Easy, right? That’s the whole point of this method of coding music.

• I’m so using this.
  • I might use it, but I don’t code music much.
  • Nope LOL

0 voters

Let me know if I missed something, or made a mistake. Thanks!
Link to example project. (One might be a Rick Roll)

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/11i4lvhj5f

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/11el8oxyl2

@omtl

16 Likes

I don’t have beta editor so nope

3 Likes

Ok…
well, the title did say beta only.

3 Likes

Yeah…
Also I’m deciding very carefully which link to click

Edit: Clicked the rickroll

4 Likes

Lol

2 Likes

Very cool strategy! I’ll definitely try it out!

4 Likes

I’m the guy who doesn’t like using so many variables, and I’d probably end up using strings, but this is still an interesting method worth checking out.

What I figured is worth sharing is the fact that the new note names go along the lines of 43.wav, 44.wav, etc. meaning you can control a note by variables with just numbers. Also, the rhythms work similarly, with each one being worth its fraction of a 4/4 measure (whole note = 1 for rhythm value, half note = 0.5, qtr = 0.25, 8th = 0.125, etc.)

8 Likes

Ok.
I was wondering, because you’re really good at using strings, can you teach me the basics? I have no clue how strings work.

2 Likes

Sorry, but cool thing, will use it when I get BE

3 Likes

Pro users only can access dis soo
n o

3 Likes

Yes, indeed I do.

1 Like

I like the new blocks because they use actual real-life rythms and measures which I’ve learnt in class

4 Likes

I see what you did there…

One of them probably leads to your “get rickrolled lol” project… :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Yes, I does. I learnt the hard way lol

2 Likes

Go Rick rolls. I don’t have beta editor so I can’t use this.

3 Likes

This is really cool! I’m definitely going to try it out :smiley:

5 Likes