Polyart Competition

Hello and welcome to this topic!
Long story short, this is a polyart competition. Anyone is welcome to join!

What is polyart?
Polyart is a type of shape art in which geometric shapes are placed together like a puzzle to create angular images. Only polygons are used.*
Examples of Hopscotch shapes which are polygons include triangles, right triangles, hexagons, rectangles, and squares (not including rounded squares).
If you want to see examples of polyart coded in Hopscotch, here are a few links.
Happy Anniversary SilverStar! by TheDeliciousOrange
Ice Cream Cone Polyart by tankt2016
To Fearless by TheDeliciousOrange

*However, in this competition an exception will be made for circles, as stated in rule #5.

Rounds
There will most likely be three rounds depending on how many people join, each with different themes. There will be opportunities for bonus points in each round.

The first round will start within the next week — sometime before August 8. When it starts depends on when enough people have joined.

Each round will last about 2 weeks, and then projects will be judged. Results will be released as soon as possible, and the next round will start as the results are released, since at the end of each round, some participants are eliminated.

Rules

1. Break rule #3.

2. Be kind, as always.

3. Follow rule #1.

4. Only polyart is allowed. Polyart is a kind of shape art in which polygons are used.

5. Technically circles aren’t polygons since they don’t have straight sides but I’ll allow them for the competition as long as other polygons are used in the project. However, an exception will not be made for semicircles or rounded squares.

6. Text is allowed if it is used to display words. It cannot be used in place of shapes (for example, you cannot use “UwU” as the face of a sheep or a colon as eyes for a cat, but you can write “Hello” on a polyart t-shirt or create a speech bubble out of shapes and put “Bee-utiful!” in it).

7. Backgrounds don’t have to be made of polyart. Well, unless your project is a background.

Judges/Judging
I will choose 3 judges to help out with judging. Judges will be picked based primarily on activity. I will also judge.

Projects will be judges based on the following rubric.

Shapes /20
Did the coder only use polygons and circles? Or did they use shapes other than that?
Creativity /20
How creative was the use of shapes?
Colors /10
Do the colors flow nicely? Does the shading make the polyart look 3D-ish?
Bugs /20
Does the project have bugs? If not, rate the project 20.
Complexity /20
Is the polyart simple? Or is it more complex? Complex projects will score higher here.
Bonus Points /10
This one’s pretty self-explanatory.

Total: /100

Ok so now that you’ve either read this long post or skipped over it, here’s an interest poll. Only 3 judges will be chosen.

• I would like to compete!
  • I would like to judge!
  • No thanks.

0 voters

@/omtl

26 Likes

cool

4 Likes

so if the project doesn’t have bugs you rate it half of the possible points?

6 Likes

Cool

3 Likes

oops that’s not how it works
fixed it

2 Likes

Sounds cool, I’m in

2 Likes

hmm another comp formatted somewhat like the GHBS lol

2 Likes

Ooh what was that?

2 Likes

so do we get more points for the more variety of shapes we use? also aren’t all hopscotch shapes polygons or circles?

2 Likes

Yeah kinda. And for making it actual polyart. If you use just circles and/or no polygons then you’d score low. If you used mainly circles and some polygons, or used mainly polygons and some non-polygons other than circles, you’d score lower than you could if you used mostly or entirely circles and polygons.

And no, not all hopscotch shapes are polygons. Take, for example, Squished Box. Or Heart, Fan, and Squiggle.

2 Likes

are there specific themes for each round?

2 Likes

I won’t be joining but this is interesting

3 Likes

I think I thought of doing themes but I don’t think I put that in the OP. But yeah there probably will be themes.

1 Like

Oooh this is gonna be awesome

5 Likes

I second that

4 Likes

Ooh I might join

Polyart is fun

6 Likes

I have not made polyart
I’ll try IG lol

4 Likes

Sounds cool, I might join :)