2 Likes

What’s (-14) - 5?

4 Likes

Negative nine!

I think

4 Likes

Negative 19, unless parenthesis means something

6 Likes

It’s -19 because we’re subtracting from a negative number which is making it lower so technically we’re just adding to the negative number because everything with negative numbers is reversed,

That’s a lie multiplication is the same just the - x - is actually positive

3 Likes

I don’t think the parenthesis meant something-unless it have another calculation in it

4 Likes

No it’s just so the signs aren’t confusing

4 Likes

To expand upon this, I was always taught to “change the sign and add a line” when subtracting integers then follow the rules for addition.

First step, change the sign from subtraction to addition:
(-14) + 5

Then add a line to the second integer. In other words, if it’s positive such as in this case, it has no sign out front and adding a line changes it to negative. If it were negative, adding a line segment to the negative sign changes it to positive. Anyways, our problem now looks like this:
(-14)+(-5)

Now, we just solve! When adding like signs, we just add like normal and keep the sign. So the answer is indeed

or -19

would be the answer if it was -14+5, so you were pretty close

5 Likes

It’s pretty confusing for the negative sign and the subtraction sign
a - 5
b -5

3 Likes

Yeah, which is why Tero had the parentheses. Integers can be kinda tricky until you get the hang of them, but practice will definitely make a difference

5 Likes

I dont know how to code a platformer’s gravity help

4 Likes

That’s what I thought

3 Likes

To make the gravity stronger as you go down, you can decrease the y value more and more using a variable. This can be used not just for gravity, but smooth animations as well.

When game is playing
Increase Yspeed by 1

When game is playing
Set position (Xposition, Y)

When game is playing
Increase Y by Yspeed*-1

(Putting the code in different when blocks to reduce lag)

4 Likes

?
Integers are like the easiest thing in math.
Sure there are some arithmetic stuff that are a little confusing, but they’re literally just full numbers.

4 Likes

collision is what idk yet because i cant get a idea of the code

3 Likes

Why is 1+1, 2?

It is difficult for anyone to explain it

7 Likes