[Official] Nerdy Math Topic

The clone index just goes from 1-1000 since the original object is not a block… I’m assuming based on

The equation would be very similar with slightly different numbers… am I correct? Thank you very very much :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

ok let’s go full generality, and you can specialize as you need. Supposed that along X you have sx cells (so xi goes from 0 to sx-1), along Y you have sy (yi goes from 0 to sy-1), and along Z you have sz cells (zi goes from 0 to sz-1). ci goes from 0 to sxsysz-1.
To go from ci to (xi,yi,zi):
let ti = ci
xi = ti % sx
ti = floor(ti/sx)
yi = ti % sy
ti = floor(ti/sy)
zi = ti % sz

to go from (xi,yi,zi) to ci:
ci = xi + sx*(yi + sy*zi)

But you shouldn’t just copy these blindly. Play with them on paper, with sz=1 (so you just have a 2D grid), to convince yourself that these work, and to understand why they work. Once you have some examples worked out on paper, you’ll have a ground truth to debug against. That’s the most powerful kind of debugging: when you know ahead of time what the correct result is, because you’ve worked it out in a way independent from your current code.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’ll take a look and try :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Egyptian fraction expansions

Here’s a fun little math game.
It’s about Greedy Egyptian Fraction Expansions.

2   1   1
— = — + —
3   2   6

You must sum together different unit inverses to be equal to 2/3. And by the way it must be greedy. Which means, if the next inverse fits the sum, you must choose it (that way each fraction has 1 distinct solution). For example (2/3) - (1/2) >= 0 so that’s why 1/2 was chosen first.

The Puzzle

Can you find the G.E.F.E for…

———

The very much harder puzzle

How about the G.E.F.E for…

—————
4 Likes

@Willowmoon
alright, wanna walk me thorough on which parts you need reviewing?

3 Likes

Sure

So basically all of it? I need to take notes lol

I feel like if we start going over it I’ll remember better

so just general review

3 Likes

You could use modulo
And division
For x do var x = (clone index) modulo 10
For z do var z = clone index divided by 10 rounded
For y do var y = clone index divided by 100 rounded

3 Likes

alright.
Do you think if you can, define sin/cos/tan for me? Even if it’s nothing, that’s also alright. just wanna know what you remember

3 Likes

they’re ratios of sides of a right angle triangle?

2 Likes

Hello hello I also need help with sine and cosine

3 Likes

join our lesson then lol

2 Likes

yeah, exactly. alright sic, you remember something. Would you like me to pull up a visual aid for you?

@chemistree heya - alright, how much do you know?

4 Likes

Lol I remembered something :clap:

I think that’d help, yeah

3 Likes

Um sine and cosine is calculated with SOH CAH TOA which stands for sine: opp/hyp cosine:adj/hyp tan:opp/adj and I might have forgotten like a lot

3 Likes

aye, alright. so as willow said

Now this isn’t always necessarily true, but for now it’s probably best to stick to this rn.

I’ve gotta jet, but I’ll be back later if that’s alright?

5 Likes

that’s fine, I have to write up a tutorial for Heracc anyhow

4 Likes

Ok Thanks I’ll try

1 Like

sets and subsets???
thats new

2 Likes

@The_Vast_Void or anybody else

In a group of 23 people, what are the chances of 2 people having the same birthday, twice?

So 2 people on Aug. 29

And 2 people on June 4

2 Likes

Around 1/20? I wouldn’t know, because I’m dumbfounded (dum is censored for some reason)

3 Likes