[Official] Nerdy Math Topic

I’ve taken both, though more algebra. And I haven’t seen you in ages Void, Hru?

3 Likes

I’m doing fine! How are you?

Yeah that’s true for almost everything. You need a strong grasp of arithmetic for algebra, you need a strong grasp of algebra for calculus, and so on.

3 Likes

Fractions are dividing without dividing

4 Likes

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

What do u mean? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Well yeah because of the theory of- (I’m not gonna explain the whole thing)

2 Likes

Explain the whole thing pls

1 Like

Easy Math:

Anybody know 10,972,823.293 - 6.82 + 45/2x89^8 = ???

Challenge:

Anybody know 239,982,987.0913 - 12,98,76.92 + 0.927 - 84 = ???

2 Likes

I’m 4th grader idk this math (actually I don’t know anything lol)

2 Likes

Easy Math:

A: 10974818.973

Challenge:

A: 293853027.098

1 Like

those commas should group the numbers into 3s, not 2s

3 Likes

Oops, my mistake.

1 Like

I made something very mathy and thought it might belong here:

A “Numberphile” video on YT inspired this; look up “The Golden Ratio (why it is so irrational)” for what is going on.

6 Likes

How could I make the app Uzu, an interactive light show in HS? Sorry if this doesn’t belong here, I just know it needs a LOT of math

4 Likes

I knew it! I was just worried if I’m wrong /j

1 Like

True, true

2 Likes

Well, a fraction is like an equation of division but with no actual solving.

4 Likes

:exploding_head:

Can’t like ur reply sorry ran out of likes

5 Likes

I didn’t know about this but watched a YT video called “Uzu Creator Talks About Uzu - iPad Feature Demo” to learn about it. Cool!
I think some interactive particle motion things are possible; they won’t be as fast/smooth as in that app. The bigger problem is that Hopscotch currently has no way of detecting multi-touch. Or rather- the editor window in the app does know about two-finger pinch gestures to change object size, but afaik there’s no HS rule for responding to two-fingers, let alone 3 or more, right?
Do you have a sense of what math you think is needed, or, the gap between the math you know and the math you need? I bet something uzu-inspired is possible, and I’m happy to help brainstorm about the math. I know some math.

3 Likes

when you do division, some of the numbers don’t divide perfectly. Modulo make an output of the rest of a division (sorry it’s definitely not understandable). Here’s some examples:

0/4=0
1/4=1
2/4=2
3/4=3
4/4=0
5/4=1

you can see that it’s a increasing list. It’s very useful if you want to make a variable increasing in a loop.

hmm i re-read my post and it’s not clear. Can someone help me explaining pls? My english is bad
edit: oh nvm Sophia wrote something

3 Likes