[Official] Nerdy Math Topic

Just to clarify, you need 3 pieces of info right?
And how much different is trig with a right triangle vs without?

2 Likes

Yep, I’m with you

1 Like
  1. Yeah!
  2. Quite different, personally for me it’s easier to know how to work trig with right angles beforehand, since when it’s without them it still relies on the same principles, just more complex.
2 Likes

Cool!

So, can you remember the names of any of the sides of the triangle?

2 Likes

Yeah, ive learned how to do it with right triangles but I want to learn without

3 Likes

No haha :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The adjacent side is the side between the specified angle and right angle.
The opposite side is the side opposite of the specified angle.
The hypotenuse is the side that is usually diagonal and is longest (opposite of right angle)

2 Likes

Then you’ll probably wanna look into the sine + cosine rules.

2 Likes

So yeah, like Rishan said the longest side of the triangle is called the hypotenuse, can you think of anywhere else you may have heard of the term?

2 Likes

1 Like

On it!

1 Like

Exactly! Awesome. So, depending on what we need to work out, we need to use different trig functions, but let’s start with sin cos and tan. Do you know anything about them?

2 Likes

Not really. I’ve seen them used but never used them myself-

No, auto, used not sued

1 Like

@QuadraticStudios ^

2 Likes

Yeah tho it’s not always 2 sides and an angle. You can use the law of sine and law of cosine and whatnot for other situations
And in applications, it won’t always be nice triangles n stuff but yea, you’re doing great

3 Likes

@SilverSong ready when you are?

2 Likes

Click this link if you need help with trigonometry!
https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/11mxfuqx7o

1 Like

We can pick this up in your morning today?

3 Likes

It’s not different. It’s a field of math, and the definitions of the trig functions are heavily rooted in right triangles (and circles). Whenever you don’t have a right triangle and you have some trig-related question, there are formulas to help you with it, but they’re all rooted in essentially splitting up the triangle into right triangles.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks!

2 Likes