[OFFICIAL] Introduce Yourself!

Hello everyone! I’m actually a dev (Javascript, C#, Swift, C++) but I’ve got some kids (around 9yrs old) asking me to teach them how to make a game. I’ve checked all teaching platforms and this one is the best for that age group.

18 Likes

Welcome! This is a really friendly platform to teach kids to code and I hope yours enjoy it! D’ya need help with navigating anything?

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @ozRocker! You’re right, Hopscotch is definitely the perfect platform to code.

i can help, and so do everyone else. What type of game do you/your children want to learn?

5 Likes

My friend’s daughter likes playing 3D 1st and 3rd person games on iPad and the Oculus Quest VR headset. I just want to teach her basics first, starting with space invaders and platform games. I’m struggling with the cloning feature for laser-fire coming out of the Space Invaders spaceship. I have a square which is the base for the laser-fire. On game start, square is set to invisible. However, when I clone, the cloned version is visible. It seems like cloning doesn’t take into account any properties that have changed since game start. Is it possible to clone an object and to keeps its invisible property? If I just set it to invisible after its cloned then there’s a “flash” on the screen, which isn’t ideal

8 Likes

try setting the shape in “when object is cloned” instead of having the original object be a square (make it a blank text object)

if you want to keep the clone invisible for some time, make sure to set the invisibility before setting the shape so there isn’t a flash there

9 Likes

That works perfectly, thank you!!

6 Likes

Hi @ozRocker and welcome to the forum! Hopscotch was the platform that got me into coding actually, so I really recommend it for teaching coding concepts. It’s amazing:) I’m happy to hear that you want to spread the beautiful concept of code too.

5 Likes

Same

@ozRocker,

First off I want to say Welcome To The Hopscotch Forum!

Hopscotch is how I started coding too. Though no kids, I got into coding using this app like William.

Just a quick question, what have you made using hopscotch?

~ @Jye

4 Likes

How to get the secret Blocks and code games wereu can buy things for seeds?

9 Likes

Hey there,

I think what you’re asking is the Request Seed Block. This is a special block that allows Hopscotchers to request seeds in their game. Currently, the only way to have access to the Request Seed Block is by participating in the Seed Developer Program.

9 Likes
3 Likes

they aren’t talking about this

3 Likes

hey there @FlowerBlown
now that your accounts sorted - it’s time to introduce to the forum!
(this guide can be the excellent place to start)

9 Likes

hi but replying to my post is not needed you can just reply tote topic… but it’s fine!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :)

As Yuanyuan said, you have to sign up for the Seed Developer Program for access to the seed block. You can read more about it here!

6 Likes

What is your Hopscotch username? FlowerBlown

Do you have any nicknames you’d like to be called? Flower
What pronouns do you prefer? she/they/her
Why did you choose your name? Because i think it’s cute
How long have you been using Hopscotch? for three months
How long have you been coding? for nine months
What are your favorite kinds of projects? a project that is about speaking different L
Do you prefer making projects or playing projects? playing projects.
Do you know any other coding languages? um…I can’t remember at the moment.
How did you find out about the forum? From my best friend

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

5 Likes

Hi! Welcome! I’m Tero

7 Likes

Hi, @DaughterOfHecate and thank you. and i’ll tell Nick not to be so rude to any of you, if she where, she’s been caught red handed. lol like a lot
thank’s Tero.

6 Likes

well I have to go, we have school in the morning. good night

7 Likes