[Official] Hopscotch Innovation Contest :hs_bird:

Hello Hopscotchers!

Welcome to the official :art::notes: Hopscotch Innovation Contest! :notes::art:
This is for everyone out there that loves to push the boundaries of what you can do on a coding app; our resident artists, musicians and all-around innovators.

In this contest, you can submit a project in up to two of the following 5 categories: music, pixel art, trail art, shape art, and code snippets.

:hs_cosmic_cody:Categories:hs_cosmic_cody:

This section has information about all of the categories, as well as judging criteria for each.

Music

This is a category where you can submit music projects!

They'll be judged on:
  • Accuracy (for covers) or Composition (for originals): Does your rendition sound like the original song OR Did you create an original musical idea?
  • Complexity: Are there embellishments to the melody? Is there harmony? Are there background voices (such as a bass line or countermelody)?
  • Flow: Does the project run smoothly at the intended tempo? Can we listen to the song comfortably (can we groove to it :sunglasses:)?
  • Originality: Does your rendition sound exactly like the reference material/inspiration, or did you add your own personal flair? Is there evidence of creative thinking throughout the process?

Pixel Art

This is a category where you can submit pixel art projects!

They'll be judged on:
  • Composition: How fully and accurately are you able to depict the subject matter? Did you pick a template that’s both artistic and manageable within the confines of this competition?
  • Complexity: How complex is the pixel art? What different features does it have? How well did you utilize the tools Hopscotch gives you to render your imagine in a pixel style?
    • Size: How large is it (dimensions)?
    • Colors: How many colors are there?
  • Originality: Does your coded art look exactly like the reference material/template, or did you add your own personal flair? Is there evidence of creative thinking throughout the process?
  • Efficiency: How long did it take for the art to finish drawing itself? Was the code optimized with the user experience (and time!) in mind?

You can get up to 5 bonus points on the rubric for originality if you’re coding original pixel art that you’ve drawn.

Trail Art

This is a category where you can submit trail art projects!

They'll be judged on:
  • Composition: How fully and accurately are you able to depict your subject matter? Did you pick a template that’s both artistic and manageable within the confines of this competition?
  • Complexity: How complex is the trail art? What different features does it have? How well did you capture the essence of your subject matter?
  • Details: How much nuance did you incorporate? Is there shading? How realistic are the colors compared to the real world? Are there fine trail lines that may be hard to notice but enhance the artwork?
  • Originality: Does your coded art look exactly like the reference material/template, or did you add your own personal flair? Is there evidence of creative thinking throughout the process?
  • Efficiency: How long did it take for the art to finish drawing itself? Was the code optimized with the user experience (and time!) in mind? Are there different pens drawing at the same time?

Shape Art

This is a category where you can submit shape art projects!

They'll be judged on:
  • Composition: How fully and accurately are you able to depict your subject matter? Did you pick a template that’s both artistic and manageable within the confines of this competition?
  • Complexity: How complex is the shape art? What different features does it have? How many shapes did you use to get your desired end product?
  • Accuracy: How well did you capture the essence of your subject matter using only basic shapes? How much nuance were you able to get?
  • Efficiency: How long did it take for the art to finish drawing itself? Was the code optimized with the user experience (and time!) in mind?

Code Snippets

And this is for our coder community! Created a new awesome method to better code something? This is your time to shine too! Share a method you invented to code innovative art, like a new string interpreter for music, or instant trail art drawer.
This has to be your own, fully original method.

You'll be judged on:
  • Originality: Is the idea the first of its kind? Does it allow for creations in Hopscotch that weren’t possible before?
  • Complexity: What steps did it take to get the code working? Is there a sophisticated method used to achieve the results you get from your project?
  • Performance: How well does it do what it’s intended to do? Why is this a good method to use to achieve the desired end goal?
  • Design: How well is it designed? Was it created with user experience and ease in mind?

:hs_octo:Rules & Guidelines:hs_octo:

Baseline rules for all entries. These must be followed in addition to those of the specific categories you’re entering.

• Submissions will only be accepted between August 11, 2022 4:00 AMSeptember 15, 2022 4:00 AM
  • Please start a new project for this competition! We have no way to reinforce this but use the honor system :relaxed:
  • Please do note that only fully manually coded projects will be accepted. Projects that are automated in any way will not qualify as submissions. This means that you cannot use any external tools that would code anything for you. So any shortcuts including --but not limited to-- MIDI hacks and automatic string generators are off the table.
    • You may use an automatically generated string for the Code Snippets category only for demonstration purposes and you must make it clearly known.
  • If you create a project with aspects of two categories (eg trail art and music), you can enter it into both of those categories. However, only the respective part of it will be judged in each, not the overall project.

:hs_raccoon:Prizes:hs_raccoon:

Official prizes granted by THT and the forum leaders. These are the same throughout all of the categories.

:1st_place_medal:1st Place::1st_place_medal:

• 50 seeds or 100 HopBytes
  • 1st Place Leader Competition badge
  • Custom Forum Emoji

:2nd_place_medal:2nd Place::2nd_place_medal:

• 30 seeds or 75 HopBytes
  • 2nd Place Leader Competition badge

:3rd_place_medal:3rd Place::3rd_place_medal:

• 15 seeds or 50 HopBytes
  • 3rd Place Leader Competition badge

All participants will receive a Leader Competition Participation Badge and 15 HopBytes

Have fun!
@omtl @fearlessfriends

31 Likes

This is awesome! Do we have to use a template for the shape art?

14 Likes

i was just about to ask the same thing for trail art- can we make something completely original?

12 Likes

nope, its okay if you kinda wing it and design your own! most people usually have some base idea of something before you start laying down the shapes but you dont have to at all

14 Likes

absolutely! thats fine :))

14 Likes

That’s great! Thank you :))

13 Likes

I have a great idea :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This is nice!!!

6 Likes

So cool!

5 Likes

Oh em gee I think I’ll make my own song if I have the time!! This is such a great contest idea! Wow! Thx fearless!

10 Likes

Question: if I do a project with both (say, a trail art with an original music piece in the background) would the project qualify for both category’s or would I pick just one?

10 Likes

Does this help or do you want me to explain further?

12 Likes

I noticed in tri’s manual pixel arts, he still uses his auto method but manually inputs the data, is this allowed?

8 Likes

So no. Fear explains everything very well in the OP, I think.

9 Likes

In pixel arts, how can you know if someone is doing an automatic pixel art? I mean, they might be writing the string down themselves. Is that allowed?

8 Likes

A string may be used in the code that is really long

7 Likes

why it’s not? all [M(number)] are fully manual. (m stands for manual, while a stands for automatic)

plus, it’s the ultimate fast pixel art method for small pixel arts

theres absolutely no way but the smaller the pixel art is the more possible it’s manual

i mean people who code 1000*1000 pixel arts exist, but theyre a lot less common

7 Likes

What about 10000*10000! :wink: /j

5 Likes

I will join. My project will be out as soon as I can possibly release it and it also says shape art on the trail art section I also wonder whether you can use old projects to enter.

9 Likes

@Slothy, if you can see the first post, you should know

6 Likes