Naming links — tips/conventions/ideas

I sometimes tend to revert to the maybe-a-little-bit-unhelpful 'click here' a lot while I'm naming links around here.

And I was thinking back to some tips with naming links that I'd seen, so I thought I might as well start a discussion on the forum :yum: Do you have any tips or ideas? Discuss and share here!

Some ideas for naming links:

• include the title of the page in the link name
  • 'keep the words in the link brief but descriptive'
  • move ending punctuation outside of the name
  • name the link as a phrase embedded in the rest of the sentence

Some possible Whys:

• so people will know what to expect from what they're clicking on — the content they'll see, where they'll end up

• there is an accessibility feature that allows people to navigate a website to just look at the links and they will just see 'here, here, here' if that is what links are named

Screen reading applications offer only limited ways to interpret a page. One common method is to generate a list of links (without context) to determine the content of the page. Screen reader users also often scan a page by simply tabbing from link to link (without reading the text in-between).

Some points with naming :joy::

Click here, see this

See here for more info at the maths topic.
See the maths topic for more info.

Which gives more info to you? To me, the second link tells me more info about where it will lead. In the context of the sentences, it has no difference but i think you don't have the context of the sentence with a screen reader, (although I'm not too sure).

See more:

(I applied one of the tips there :stuck_out_tongue: That was not the site I was thinking about, but one that I just looked up.)

augyiakaauhauhkgbakbhjka

Good point :joy: in fact...can I quote that in the topic?

Sure

Tap the link to go here.

Cool topic! :thumbsup:

Lol
You love those random letters xp

I did all the stuff in which u said!
I described the link.
Mixed it into the words.
Put a dot not in the link

Click here for more info on this.
(this is a joke btw.)

@Kayro thanks for the edit! :smiley:

I have another random example:

See here for more info at the maths topic.
See the maths topic for more info.

Which gives more info to you? To me, the second link tells me more info about where it will lead. In the context of the sentences, it has no difference but i think you don't have the context of the sentence with a screen reader, (although I'm not too sure).