Mysterious black squares substitute text blocks

When the project should naturally take this appearance:

It often assumes this appearance:

NB: There are no collision blocks in this project.
There are more than 20 Unicode text blocks
Occurs after one refresh of the project.
All Unicode is substituted with unusual black quadrilaterals, as the image above shows.
Occasionally the entire project turns white.
Occurs in latest version as well as 2017 version.

20 Likes

Additional information: I am using an iPad Air 2, iOS 13.

12 Likes

is that for a pixel art or shape art, if I may ask?

I’ve had it a couple of times when I’ve had pixel arts…

8 Likes

That’s text art.

7 Likes

That happens sometimes, think it just requires a refresh. But if it keeps happening it could be the Unicode though I don’t think so.

8 Likes

What about getting out of the project and entering again?

That bug looks similiar to the one i sometimes encounter while trying to shrek a featured project

12 Likes

This supposedly happens when hopscotch runs out of RAM. I’ll see if I can find a source.

12 Likes

Source
AwesomeOnion doesn’t specify that it’s the RAM that runs out however I think it is

12 Likes

this happens occasionally with mine- it’s certainly strange- but usually reloading the project/refreshing the app fixes it. I think it’s happening for me because my ipads quite old- could be the same for yours?
also really nice to see back on the forum!

7 Likes

This has never happens to me and I have a very old iPad.

5 Likes

This happens to me when I spamtap the replay button.

6 Likes

My iPad is quite old and I have never faced this problem either.

4 Likes

My iPad is also very old, and I’ve never had this problem. Maybe closing and reopening the app, or just replaying the project might help.

5 Likes

Same as pumpkin for me, but I don’t often use that much text/text art in my projects

4 Likes

This is really annoying.

I haven’t been noticing it happening as much lately, though that may just be a result of the projects I’m playing using less text.

8 Likes

I’ve experienced this in the past(please note that I do not anymore) with a text block with a large amount of emojis. This may be the same bug…

4 Likes

This happens when you refresh too much it seems.

6 Likes

@ToastedSamurai, that makes sense. So do you recommend that I break up the trees into threes and clone them with each third in a different set text?

@Nobody,

The trigger to the blank white screens & this bug is the refreshing.

6 Likes

Or is there some other way in which I can maximise the preservation of memory? Dividing up large amounts of texts is not exactly efficient because:

A) When combined with other texts, the overall image still occupies the same amount of space as would doing it in a whole chunk. The RAM (I mag be incorrect in stating this) is still suddenly overwhelmed by a large amount of texts and Unicode appearing at once.

B) Superfluous clones are created (for, with unicode, each part must have a clone accompanying it so that the gaps in between are filled), and in total, more text is being used than having one large chunk.

Perhaps my logic is flawed in interpreting how unicode text quantities affect performance, but I’m confirming this as I may need to reshape the plan (or simply restart) for this project, as it is highly dependent on Unicode texts.

I’m willing to be flexible, and will delete a lot of text if it is the sole option. Performance is more important than quantity.

5 Likes

Comparing these two projects with the only difference being the amount of unicode “textures”, the simplest way to solve this is to remove the unicode textures.
It might be possible to optimize it in some other way but as you say, it probably uses the same amount of memory even if you split up the textures.
One solution I see is to rely more on default hopscotch shapes, but this of course compromises the design. Assuming that the trees are the world border, you could fir example replace them with a wall made of rectangles, something like this:
Might work with your style.

9 Likes