My games crash when they have too much code

Use this template to make awesome bug reports:

Your username: Noland Games

What kind of device are you using?: iPhone 6, iOS 12.5.5

1 sentence description of the problem (I was doing _________, and then __________ happened): I am making a game that has a complicated code, but it keeps crashing (notification keeps appearing, project freezes, project automatically restarts)

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:

1. Make a project with loads of code where each piece of code is essential for the game.
  2. When you press play, a notification shows up saying that something went wrong.
    ….

I expected this to happen: The project plays as it should/ the notification vanishes after restarting the project

But instead this happened: The notification would not leave

Here’s a sweet screenshot:

This has happened on a few of my projects, and it is really annoying. Also apologies in advance if I did anything wrong, I was just mainly copying other bug reports. Thanks!

10 Likes

Oh yeah and apparently I am supposed to make a poll, so:

Has this ever happened to you?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

5 Likes

Did it work once you closed and reopened the project?

5 Likes

No, I have even tried restarting the app, and nothing worked

4 Likes

Huh, that’s strange. You could try deleting the app and renown loading it?

Or if you have other devices with hs access, see if it happens there?

5 Likes

Yeah this would probably help to see if it’s just your device having a problem, or the project itself.

You could also try restarting your device haha (this often fixes most of the issues that I have)

5 Likes

Yeah I tried that and didn’t work:(

The phone is the newest device I have… I also have an ancient iPad 2 but I am pretty sure that it no longer supports hopscotch. I used to use an iPhone 5 and it had the same problem too though.
Thanks for the help anyway

5 Likes

can you get the uuid of the project by going to Hopscotch Project Builder hitting “open” and opening the file that the the project is (enter the project then go back to the site and sort by most recent in the hopscotch folder)?

7 Likes

The iphone 6 is getting old, so that could be the cause

4 Likes

Yeah, true lol. I have been trying to open the link that nobody sent me but it was stuck for about 9 minutes on the loading screen before I gave up. The worst part about this is that I only got this phone recently, and already it is outdated:(

4 Likes

go to the files app → on my iphone → hopscotch → json_projects

find your project—how big is the file size of your project?

4 Likes

It is 219 kb (i think)

4 Likes

I have no idea how big an average hopscotch project is, but I know that 219 kb is very small. should I maybe publish the project so you can see it for yourself? Maybe there is just a fault in code, however I fail to see how that would affect the app in general🤔 perhaps there could be a simpler way of doing it that will not glitch the app

4 Likes

yes
mine is 1.1 mo and has no bug

can you tell me if it shows the womp just after starting the game or while the game is playing?

3 Likes

I have a pause feature in it. The game works perfectly well, except when I press the pause, where it first restarts the project, then displays the message

2 Likes

wdym?

can you record your sceen, upload your vid via catbox.moe and link it here?

2 Likes

yes if you don’t mind could you publish it?

3 Likes

@NTh3R here is the video:

And I published this project: TEST by Noland Games
For nobody in particular :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Sorry just realised half the video came out sideways… my bad :pleading_face:
Also the thing only happened when I pressed the “pause” text. (I did not press restart)
Oh yeah and excuse my poor coding I am but a small-time coder who only does it for fun

2 Likes

does this happen in duplicates of the draft?

3 Likes