My Experiment on the Forum

Attention all Hopscotchers!

So, lately I have noticed that the forum is getting more and more off topic. So I decided to run an experiment. The basic idea is that every day, at the same time, (around 8:00 PM in Central Time) I'll take a screenshot of the Latest tab. I'll continue this for a few weeks until I have sufficient information. My goal is to get a ratio of about how many topics there are that relate to hopscotch compared to the topics that are unrelated.
Any feedback about how to improve the experiment would be appreciated. Thanks!

All the pictures I've taken

Sharing stuff on google drive is not allowed sorry

Right... i forgot about that. I'll take down the link.

Better idea! I'll have a drop down containing every image.

@BB-Box @ArtyAnimal @AvocadoDont @AwesomeNachos @BellaWafflez17 @bluedogmc-official @BubblegumCupcakeMix @ButterBark @Candycane @CatWithABrush @ChocolateFox @CodePerfect @codingkit @ColourfulBlack @ConnellCoder @CreationsOfaNoob @cupcakemaniac1 @DA-BEASTY @doZqoh @DMF @Ella_13 @Explorer_ @FascinatingTreehouse @FluffyMarshmellow @FoodDelivery @FortatoBuilder @FunkyGoldfish @GiraffeProductions @GLaDOS_On_Da_Forum @happy12345678910 @HappyPerson @HappyDolphin @Himynameismeredith1 @Hoppertoscotch @IKeudin @Jess888 @JojoDude @KarmicSans2 @KawaiiRose @Kitkat26 @KoolM123 @KVJ @MiiR_legend @minioncandy @MudFlowerCat @Murphy1 @Paige1212 @Paydent12 @PerfectPanda24 @PianoGorilla2006 @Potter_Head @Puppylulu @PumpkinGirl @PurpleStorybook @Rainboom @RubyStars @ScarySweetheart @Sensei_Coder @Silverdolphin @SnowGirl_Studios @Sprouse @StarryDream @Steelhooves @StRiKe_Charler123 @Sugarisyummy @TheDrawer @Themasterofairjitzu @treefrogstudios @TrevCoding @Valgo @ValueGamesStudio @Vortex.inc @waddlemarco @WasIdealessHere @weathercats @William04GamerA @xXBARNSLEYFCXx @Yellow_Mellow @YuxinaYammy @Zachyswag

I see my topic!
I don't know if it's good or bad...

yes someone is doing that yes thanks

Don't think you're innocent
(JK I'm his friend so I can be mean to him)

Look at some of the oldest topics on here:

Sure, you could say that the forum has changed a lot and evolved through the years, but I thought it is pretty cool

You can publish google docs/spreadsheets/etc. and users won't be shared!
You can also edit it while it's published, but it'll take a little while to update!
pst, if you look through my topic, there's a lot of coding

When the hopscotch forum it was all code
Now it's general topics, some code and occasionally useless topics...
Wow :0
I'm trying to make my general topic more code X3

Photobomb!!!
XD

By the way, some of the general topics have a ton of code in them. This is just talking about the incredibly random ones that are basically chatrooms.

;0;
Me XD

I really like how you're approaching this analytically and how you've decided to conduct an experiment :slight_smile: I have seen people are showing concerns about this.

The idea just came to me that you could make a poll to keep track of the ratio. Like this for example maybe:

(whatever title you want): e.g. ratio of related topics to unrelated topics

• 0.0 - 0.1
  • 0.1 - 0.2
  • 0.2 - 0.3
  • 0.3 - 0.4
  • 0.4 - 0.5
  • 0.5 - 0.6
  • 0.6 - 0.7
  • 0.7 - 0.8
  • 0.8 - 0.9
  • 0.9 - 10.0

0voters

hmm I realised it won't tell you what day you added the data, but you will know what the stats look like over time. (Or even maybe if you like using spreadsheets, you could put the data into a spreadsheet and share a screenshot as another idea)

Also I see you are gathering data from the same time each day, I think it's great you are thinking about keeping a factor consistent :smiley: I was maybe thinking then the data will only reflect what topics are updated at around that time of day though, but that is okay :slight_smile: I am just sharing some things that are coming to mind. It's lovely that you are open to ideas! :smile:

oh, also after Corvus/GysvANDRegulus said, hmm, Aether what do you think would be considered on-topic/related? :blush:
edit: oh okay you've answered that hehe

Edit2: I will try to put more of my focus on the conducting of the experiment and looking at the data here, I realised sometimes opinions can influence how you look at things :blush:

I'm preparing a spreadsheet to go along with the final analysis. Thanks for the idea!

Awesome! :slight_smile: If you ever need any help with spreadsheets, I'd love to help out where I can :smile:

Cool experiment! Yeah, I agree, there have been a lot of posts/topics not relating to Hopscotch or coding lately. I think discussing writing stories, drawing, etc. (creating) is allowed, but talking about our every day lives isn't very... hm, I don't know the word, maybe considerate to others who want to share things they have been coding or creating? Sometimes we get so caught up in discussing in-real-life topics that we don't pay much attention to the posts/topics that aren't. Just a thought :smile:

Sharing stuff on Google docs/drive shows your email :confused:

not if you publish it
ex.

link: