Multi-line user variables cause womp error

Your username:
Mr. Incognito
What kind of device are you using?:
iPad 5th gen
1 sentence description of the problem (I was doing _________, and then __________ happened): I was using an ‘array’ of numbers and it produce a womp error
better explanation:

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/11hqjmk22l

if you’re too lazy to look, here’s the code:

when game starts {
  set user(variable) to 
 set text to characters in user(variable) between 3 and 5 color black 
}

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:
put the code that I showed into an object
play the project

I think it’s trying to interpret it as a number but because of the new line it’s a string, but I’m not sure
so far it’s interrupted two of my projects, because I like using systems like this to get money values since it should remove any extra zeros

@/Yuanyuan @/AwesomeOnion

9 Likes

This doesn’t seem to happen in the web, since your query gets the characters ⁣"⁣\n0⁣"⁣, and that is being set properly in my player.

Again, I haven’t played it in the app so I don’t know what is going on there yet.

5 Likes

I wonder if the app doesn’t like you using the word “User” in a variable. Does this happen for any named variable?

Edit: yep it does

I also set the range from (3 to 5) to (5 to 7) and it returned “80,” but still returns a womp error.

Looks like it doesn’t like you making a new line in a user variable. Very strange. I put them on the same line, and it did return an error once, but didn’t return it again.

4 Likes

So the way I see it, this seem like “A user variable with more than 1 line causes the project to crash / return ‘womp’ message” bug

Happens with all characters as well: letters, numbers, symbols, you name it…

3 Likes

Well that is unfortunate. I don’t think this has happened to me yet but I feel like it totally would. Thank you for pointing it out

2 Likes

I used that to try to say it was a user variable lol

very odd

3 Likes