Move Upward Block

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

A move forward block, but instead of it being similar to Change X, but instead like Change Y

I’d use it for this type of project:

Anything! I was working on one of my projects and I was trying to use “Move forwards” then I realized it didn’t work because I needed this.

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

^^^^^ Look above ^^^^^

Here is an example design I’ve made:

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this:

Hopscotch. The move forward block

8 Likes

I’m stealing first.

Yeah if this is already a topic put it down there, but I didn’t find anything so

1 Like

Move forward doesn’t change the x position of the object. It moves n units in the direction the object is pointing. I assume you want something that moves perpendicular to the direction the object is pointing?

3 Likes

Yes that. Also I know I was just using the X and Y as a comparison

2 Likes

why not just use change y?

3 Likes

If you have your object at an angle

1 Like

and you want it to go up?

1 Like

Like, if you have it at the angle of 0, then it would go up, angle of 180 then down,

1 Like

There are two ways to solve this with the current version. 1. Use Change Y by, or 2. Set angle to 90, move forward. Move forward will move the object forward relative to it’s current rotation…

2 Likes

why wouldn’t change y be able to do that?

3 Likes

If you have it at 72, then Y wont work

how about a block that says:

move forward at angle (x) 300
1 Like

where the “angle” parameter would mean at the angle the object would move forward

1 Like

You could just use math. If you’re already dealing with movement vectors, you may as well calculate them.

3 Likes

Yeah I like that too, but the Move Upwards is simpler

1 Like

Yh exactly

1 Like

1 Like

Not too sure which would be a better first parameter but probably distance

7 Likes

Yeh that makes more sense
Gtg bai

1 Like

Good idea, but kinda unnecessary. Would knock off a few lines of annoying code though.

4 Likes