More Creative Layout for Forum Accounts

Ok so like
I was thinking
While editing my profile and adding cool pictures and stuff as my header and background
Wouldn’t it be cool if you could make your profile more customizable?? I’m talking like fully colored profile with different backgrounds, different font options, different layout options, etc. Think MySpace or Tumblr blogs. The best part is? This can be a way to encourage learning coding. With MySpace and Tumblr the way things are so customizable is through HTML coding, ,so yk there could be smth similar maybe not HTML since that’s a bit advanced but yk either a coding langauge similar to hopscotch’s or maybe even HTML for more advanced d cosders
Or if not just yk more customizable options. It’s a great way to let kids express themsleves ! Personally I’d love to create an among us themed profile.
Also y’all should add a pronouns feature like insta and tiktok have, same with on the hospctich app itself
Thx for listening any input is greatly appreciated
Xx

8 Likes

unfortunately, the forum is not created by hopscotch, but instead it is created by discourse. this means that hopscotch has no way to add “extra” features to their forum/

8 Likes

Why does this matter

5 Likes

@t1_hopscotch could probably explain to you in greater detail

5 Likes

This is an awesome idea, but the Hopscotch Forum is not made by moderators, but by Discourse. Our mods can’t add anything to the forum like this because of that. Since THT pays Discourse for this forum, I’m not exactly sure if they would their whole profile layout for us.

5 Likes

I still don’t understand but if they can’t do it on here the same thing could apply to in app profiles. In general I think more features for in app profiles would be cool, like more pfp options, bios, and pronouns. Also, perhaps it could be a subscription only feature?? I’d probably subscribe if I got to code customize my own profile, maybe include your own images and get it manually approved yk. Some feautures could be free and others could encourage subscription purchases while allowing everyone to express themselves more

6 Likes

That’s better, but when I suggested that idea a while back, i got feedback from others that that would take too much moderation. I still think that’s good tho

5 Likes

Yeah profile customisation would be really cool, and it would be an interesting outlet for HTML skills.

We could add a pronouns user field here (like how we have the field for “Hopscotch username”). I’ll bring this up with leaders.

I guess for the forum, and what people are referring to — so Hopscotch is a Discourse customer on the business plan, which means we can only use certain plugins listed here Plugin directory | Discourse - Civilized Discussion

Plugins let you have extra functionality on the forum. If we wanted to make our own plugin to add the ability to have more HTML customisation in forum profiles, unfortunately it wouldn’t be able to be installed on here since we’re on the business plan.

But the team is definitely interested to have more customisation for profiles in the app too, like with profile bios and groups in some way, and field for pronouns, so that people don’t have to add all of these tags and things in their username. (Not indicative of when, but there is definitely interest for it.)

6 Likes

that’s fair, that’s why i reccomended subscription only besides maybe features like pronouns and profile backdrops/backgrounds (where there could be premade options like there is for pfps and then adding custom images could be mod approval only). and maybe yeah implement code in some way like for custom things you could make a code tho idrk know how that would work, aand it seems like it could take a while so maybe not. still think it’d be cool to see!!

3 Likes

this definitely should be a priority above other things I mentioned, because it’s already something so many users constantly need/use and the current way of doing it (usernames) is messy and allows room for people to get their original usernames stolen + theres a very small character limit. Like, I’d love to add pronouns on the app into my username but I feel it makes my user messy + there isnt enough space, and yeah with groups and stuff. I understand it may take a while though! As for the forum thing i dont competley understand still but thx for trying to explain, i get that it isnt doable for now, butmaybe in app or even eventually on the website

3 Likes

Ok a user field for pronouns has been added now. You can go to https://forum.gethopscotch.com/my/preferences/profile to add your pronouns.

6 Likes