Making a character move toward another character?

This might be a silly question but I haven't been able to find anything about it yet, so here goes:

Is there a way to make one character move toward another one? Like if you had zombies chasing the player character and they're always moving in a straight line toward the player.

I use GameSalad a lot and there's a "Move To" function that's super useful. Is there a similar thing in Hopscotch? Or some sort of workaround that would accomplish the same thing?

Welcome to the forum. There's several different ways to accomplish the movement.

1st option

You could have a repeat forever loop in the zombie:
Set Position to x: Zombie_X_position + (Hero_X_position - Zombie_X_position)/Abs(Hero_X_position - Zombie_X_position) * Step_Size
repeat the formula for the y:

Make the Step_Size however far you want it to move with each loop.

Note that this has a couple draw backs.
1. The step_size controls the apparent speed. You can't use Set Speed
2. The formula results in a faster apparent speed (1.414 times faster) as the direction approaches 45 deg (in any of the 4 quadrants)

2nd option
Make When 7=7 (which is another way of making a repeat forever) in the zombie with:
move forward (100)

Make another When 7=7 with:
Theta = arctan((Hero_Y_position - Zombie_Y_position)/(Hero_X_position - Zombie_X_position))
If Zombie_X_position > Hero_X_position
Increase theta by 180
End if
Set Angle (theta)

Where Theta is a variable that you'd make.
In a When Game Starts for the Zombie, set the speed that you want (or change it at any time)

Note: this also has a draw back that the character doesn't stay "right side up" if that's what you had wanted.

Good luck & have fun! Tag me with questions. There's still more options if the above don't meet the specific needs of a given project.

P.S. There's no such thing as a dum.b question. Never worry about that! Asking questions is the process by which we all individually learn. :grinning:

Interesting.

This format is rather nice.

I am gonna try it sometime!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

@ThinBuffalo has a great :+1: understanding about how to do this.

Great, thanks for the advice. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't any built-in functions for abs, atan, etc, yes? So if I want the absolute value, I'll need to sort of make my own absolute value function by squaring and then unsquaring the number? Same for other functions beyond the built-in sin/cos/squareroot?

There are functions for ABS and Arctan.
Do you have the latest update?

I must have an older version. Ok, having built-in absolute/arctan/etc will make this much easier. I'll upgrade ASAP. Thanks for the tip!

Btw welcome! Tag me anytime you want help and I'll try as best as I can! Just type "@KVJ"!

I know this is unrelated, but welcome to the forum!

What's GameSalad? It's possible, but it's really hard xD

Typing block Hopscotch looks really weird, but text-based Hopscotch would be nice. Why can't they have build-in Swift support?