Make Hopscotch Better

I remember when I first started Hopscotchin’. It was December 2018. I was looking, and obsessing over Madi’s Solar System Generator on my friend’s iPad. I asked what the name of the app was, and they said it was Hopscotch. I immediately downloaded Hopscotch and started playing around. I was dazzled. Hopscotchers like Creations Of A Noob and MyPizza and many, many more dazzled me. Eventually, I decided I wanted to make a game. It took forever, but I did it. I made something. I was stunned at how easy it was to create something so amazing. That was when I said to myself that Hopscotch was awesome.

Hopscotch is an app made so kids can make amazing things with code. Coders like MagmaPOP, Madi, and SmileyAlyssa drove the community forward. And so did we. That’s why I stuck around. After bouncing around accounts and settling on this one, I realized something. Hopscotch was declining. People were making lower-quality projects. Legacy Hopscotchers were leaving. People were barely publishing. And you could only publish 15 projects. 15 projects! A limit for projects stifles people’s creativity. Kids are not excited to code anymore.

When I started coding, I remember screaming with joy when I got my first “Featured”. I was driven to make more, to become better. New categories do help, but it’s easy to get Featured. Not only that, the new categories do not allow for new Hopscotchers to show off their amazing creativity. And asking people to pay before they even start coding? A subscription makes sense, but as @Yusamac205 said, this is an app for coding, not for making money. You want the creators of a learning app to be teachers, and educators, not greedy adults. We cannot let THT fall into that trap.

We are a strong community. We build each other up. We have potential.

We are Hopscotchers.

We will not let an app as amazing as this keep declining. Together, we will not just restore the good old days of 2015. Together, we will make 2020 one amazing year for Hopscotch.

It all starts with you.

So why not get started?

~ Spider

@omtl @Ana

10 Likes

Alright, interesting topic.

Here’s my idea on how to make Hopscotch better:

5 Likes

I both agree and disagree. But I’ll make a post on that later. For now I don’t have the time.

5 Likes

I was inspired by your speech (kinda).

4 Likes

Agreed. Well said.

3 Likes

This new 15 project limit isn’t effecting me since I started in 2017. When I started to use Hopscotch I was so interested in coding games, I kept making and improving my projects until I got my first feature, that feeling felt so good that hundreds of people where enjoying and playing my game, so I kept on coding. If I were starting out now, this new system would’ve crushed my goals, and make me leave the app.

The sad thing is, is that HS is the most user-friendly coding app I’ve EVER seen. It’s not like those “coding” classes where you make a character move with a single block of code, you actually make games, and have others see them. If it’s one app and community I don’t want to see dying any time soon, it’s Hopscotch’s.

2 Likes

I believe the 15 project limit only affects those with accounts made after 2019

4 Likes

Yeah, but it’s not good.

2 Likes

Alright, I’m going to poke at your idea to help make it stronger.

THT are trying their best to create a nice system for people to code on. They are trying their best to make programming an enjoyable experience. We shouldn’t just protest about the system they set up because we complained, we should encourage them. I know how it feels to create something and only have criticism. It’s not a nice feeling. Hopscotch is still small, and The Hopscotch Team is trying their best. We shouldn’t start an uproar to tell them to do their job better then best. We should help them, encourage them. They are some of the most amazing people I have known, and they deserve more praise instead of criticism.

2 Likes

Yes. I spent time going over this in my head so it doesn’t sound harsh or mean. I want to encourage THT to do awesome.

1 Like

Yep, but as I explained in my topic, it discourages growth and makes THT less money. The only reason I made my topic is because I wanted to help Hopscotch make more money.

2 Likes

I completely agree. They have a wonderful staff, and they are doing amazing jobs! We don’t want to “force them” into decisions they don’t want to make. We want hopscotch to succeed as much as they do.

4 Likes

I want Hopscotch to become great, not good. It is a good app, but it was a great app.

3 Likes

Yeah, but you are encouraging other Hopscotchers to start an uprising. This could get out of hand.

4 Likes

I am? That’s not what I intended at all…

1 Like

Same here, I just wish that the community had the ability to revert the change instead of just talk about it, most of the people in this community don’t have the ability to help the app

2 Likes

I was pretty sure that wasn’t your intention. You have a good heart and only want to help Hopscotch.

Here are the parts that encourage an uprising:

See how that could come off as encouragement to start a protest

3 Likes

Okay… time to use the magic of editing! What would you suggest I change those phrases to? Oh, and the title, too.

2 Likes

It’s a good and powerful speech showing that everyone wants a change, but yeah I can see yusamac’s points here

1 Like

I suggest you focus more on the encouragement part. Instead of: “It’s a time for change” say, “It’s a time to encourage”. Keep the giving ideas part, but instead of saying the Hopscotchers are strong, compliment THT and ask other Hopscotchers to do the same.

I can’t tell you how to change your topic, but I know that you love what Hopscotch is doing and love how the members of THT are doing it. There are just a few changes you want to see to make Hopscotch even better :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes