As you may know, I am hosting a Hopscotch Gaming Competition and currently hosting Pi Run.
But, just a few games can’t last that long. Sure, I have other ideas, but why not turn this into an opportunity to spark ideas and make the community better.
Create a game that someone can speedrun in 5 minutes or less. It can be easy, it can be hard. It can be a puzzle, it can be a score-based level-type game, or maybe just earning a badge in an endless runner game.
- ANY type of game is ok
- Don’t worry about the technical bits; I can mod the project to detect when a condition is complete.
- Just include at least one aspect of the game that someone can speedrun (e.g. achievement in endless runner, level completion.
- A little bit of RNG (randomness) is ok, as long as it is still skill-oriented. Take Minesweeper, for example.
- REMIXES ARE ALLOWED, as long as you add something interesting to it. However, you will be judged on YOUR additions to that game.
- The project doesn’t have to be mainly a speedrun or time-based project, as long as it can be modded easily enough to make it “speedrunnable”
- Collabs are allowed.
- Submissions for other competitions are allowed.
- Old projects are allowed as remixes
Some ideas to get you started
- Classic board games or video games. Pinball could work, or a card game. PacMan, super mario bros but with HS characters. Puzzles and platformers are great
- Spin-off another game: remix an unfinished MagmaPOP game or MyPizza’s 2 player game
- Escape games are great if coded well (more than one room).
- Survival game while collecting items; collect x amount of items (you CAN have the project restart to finish this)
Due Date and Submissions
TBD, but don’t submit yet. YOU MAY BEGIN working on your project as soon as you wish.
Creativity, we want ways that the game can throw a curveball or mix things up but not too extreme. This can be subtle like a random enemy projectile damage: 10 points
Fun to play, replayability is important. No one would want to speedrun a game if it is boring: 20 points
Complexity or variability – while iOS passcode screen is super basic, it has a good feel and differentiates between good and great. On the other hand, EHSHQ is complex and provides a fun speedrunning experience: 20 points
Performance / (Lack of) Bugs – inconsistent times in speedruns are not to be caused by the game being RNG (e.g. randomly having to restart project). Glitches (in this context, exploits that will help the player) will not count against your score, since my speedruns are glitch%: 30 points
Overall Game Design, making the game good. It can be small but it has to satisfy elements of a game that make it good for speedrunning. Just make it a good game in general: 20 points
TOTAL: 100 points
TBD – I’ll get back to that later, revisit this post
UPDATED: Fear is the community judge. If they can’t do it, I will judge alone.
Please ask questions if you have any.