Make a "Speedrunnable" Game

As you may know, I am hosting a Hopscotch Gaming Competition and currently hosting Pi Run.

But, just a few games can’t last that long. Sure, I have other ideas, but why not turn this into an opportunity to spark ideas and make the community better.

The Competition

Create a game that someone can speedrun in 5 minutes or less. It can be easy, it can be hard. It can be a puzzle, it can be a score-based level-type game, or maybe just earning a badge in an endless runner game.

• ANY type of game is ok
  • Don’t worry about the technical bits; I can mod the project to detect when a condition is complete.
  • Just include at least one aspect of the game that someone can speedrun (e.g. achievement in endless runner, level completion.
  • A little bit of RNG (randomness) is ok, as long as it is still skill-oriented. Take Minesweeper, for example.
  • REMIXES ARE ALLOWED, as long as you add something interesting to it. However, you will be judged on YOUR additions to that game.
  • The project doesn’t have to be mainly a speedrun or time-based project, as long as it can be modded easily enough to make it “speedrunnable”
  • Collabs are allowed.
  • Submissions for other competitions are allowed.
  • Old projects are allowed as remixes

Some ideas to get you started

• Classic board games or video games. Pinball could work, or a card game. PacMan, super mario bros but with HS characters. Puzzles and platformers are great
  • Spin-off another game: remix an unfinished MagmaPOP game or MyPizza’s 2 player game
  • Escape games are great if coded well (more than one room).
  • Survival game while collecting items; collect x amount of items (you CAN have the project restart to finish this)

Due Date and Submissions

TBD, but don’t submit yet. YOU MAY BEGIN working on your project as soon as you wish.

Rubric

Creativity, we want ways that the game can throw a curveball or mix things up but not too extreme. This can be subtle like a random enemy projectile damage: 10 points

Fun to play, replayability is important. No one would want to speedrun a game if it is boring: 20 points

Complexity or variability – while iOS passcode screen is super basic, it has a good feel and differentiates between good and great. On the other hand, EHSHQ is complex and provides a fun speedrunning experience: 20 points

Performance / (Lack of) Bugs – inconsistent times in speedruns are not to be caused by the game being RNG (e.g. randomly having to restart project). Glitches (in this context, exploits that will help the player) will not count against your score, since my speedruns are glitch%: 30 points

Overall Game Design, making the game good. It can be small but it has to satisfy elements of a game that make it good for speedrunning. Just make it a good game in general: 20 points

TOTAL: 100 points

Prizes:

TBD – I’ll get back to that later, revisit this post

Community Judges:

UPDATED: Fear is the community judge. If they can’t do it, I will judge alone.

@⁣omtl @Good-Es

Please ask questions if you have any.

20 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s all coming together

12 Likes

Oh yeah yeah

10 Likes

Ooh very cool. I’d love to help judge if I can :))

7 Likes

Alright, you’re the community judge

5 Likes

Do we have to tell you if we wish to compete?

5 Likes

No, competing in the speedrun is totally separate

4 Likes

What exactly is a speedrunnable game here, if I may ask?

3 Likes

It can really be anything. It can be as complex as my Escape game (which is based on time) or it can be an endless runner (e.g. Subway Surfers but the goal is to collect 5 coins).

Puzzle and level-based games are typically good for speedrunning.

Simple question: “Can a part of this game (or the whole game) be fun to speedrun?”

• If yes, it counts.
  • If no, maybe work on it.
8 Likes

Awesome! I will see if I can make something.

7 Likes

Ah okay, coolio :slight_smile:

I’ll see what I can do

7 Likes

I have one, but because of the collisions, it is buggy. You want the link?

Great idea.

6 Likes

You have time still. Try and polish some up or use conditional collisions

5 Likes

march 14 is the due date? eep ima try but no promises (as usual)

4 Likes

I might join, idk rn

6 Likes

Let’s hope the collision update comes out before the deadline :grimacing:

2 Likes

@anon19563795 @AstrosUwU @paran0id

Sorry for the confusion – I mixed up my 2 competitions.

Gaming Competiton was March 14th
This one is still TBD.

6 Likes

ah okay lol I might be able to do it now
im just busy the first 2 weeks of march

3 Likes

8 Likes

Very interesting!

Can’t wait to see what you make. Any idea of when it could be released?

6 Likes