Lock your code button

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

A way to make it so that no one can go into the code of your project. I saw that you can’t edit or remix projects with the seed block so I thought that it would be useful if you could lock your code.

I’d use it for this type of project:

A project with hidden Easter eggs.

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

You can make it so that a player can’t go into the code and hack the game. Especially if it saves. Because if it saves then the player give themselves infinite cash forever.

Here is an example design I’ve made:

image image

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this:

Actually I haven’t.

16 Likes

I think THT doesn’t want to do this because most people like to take inspiration on others coding. If all the good coders lock their projects, who is there to take inspiration from?

10 Likes

Then there should a way to make it so that a player can’t edit the code instead locking it.

5 Likes

But then how would remixing work??

6 Likes

I think, in my opinion that this shouldn’t be an option. BUT, I think there should be a marker or sign that says if someone has edited the code when remixing.

6 Likes

Cool idea! Although as @The_Wild_Fox a lot of hops like to inspiration for projects and remixing wouldn’t work as well.

3 Likes

That would also be useful. So if you make a comp you will know if they cheated or not.

2 Likes

That reminds me of remixing - it has the name of the person on the top that created it. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, and it would help the trending tab because people can see if someone just remixed a project without adding ANYTHING to it. Unfortunately, this can be easily hacked by simply adding one block… :confused:

3 Likes

Yes, but many people just remix without adding anything, what I’m saying is that it shows if somebody actually added any code or simply remixed the project with no changes.

3 Likes

Or just moving a a character 1 inch away from its original spot, but the idea would be great with some touch ups :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So basically a way to prevent others from editing your project (view only). All games on top games are view only due to the request seed block.

Would be very useful for preventing others from cheating…

2 Likes

Maybe everything that the person changed could have a small highlight in the code. So you can just skim through and see if they changed a lot.

2 Likes

Ok this is what I would do if I was in charge of this kind of thing:

1. Remove the ability of remixing.
  2. Make it so copy and paste can copy blocks and code from other projects and put them into yours.
  3. When code is borrowed, (copy and pasted), a clear, undeletable watermark of the original coder of the code to show up.
  4. Remove the ‘newest’ tab, as it can get really spammy and annoying.
  5. Add a “Top Coders” tab to show the most popular coders measured by the amount of likes/remixes/plants/followers.
3 Likes

That’d take a while depending on how long your code is

3 Likes

Well not all people have a water mark - do you mean their pfp ?

2 Likes

I like ur ideas but I don’t know about removing the new tab. The new tab is a simple way to find coders with potential.

3 Likes

Pfp won’t work cus a lot of ppl have the same pfp. Maybe their username would show up.

2 Likes

The top games r locked. You can’t see the code unless ur a seed Dev.

1 Like

Whenever a project is remixed, a watermark containing the original creator’s username is usually placed on the thumbnail, which is sort of broken at the moment…

3 Likes