Live design session

Flat didn’t stick with it when I tried it, so that’s where it comes from. It gives it a little more depth (kinda like the neumorphism concept Henry was talking about, which is half old half new yk)

We’re going through tons of experimentation, but hopefully! I don’t think you’re being too harsh, especially cause the way it’s being designed requires a little imagination on how you think it’ll work beyond just the initial looks

2 Likes

Hm ok!

Ok good, also im just wondering sorry but will the app editor be planned to stay the same?

2 Likes

Not sure. I think the plan is to create a new web editor and have that be the “primary” way of Hopscotching and/or how it’s branded, but that’s more of an assumption than actually knowing what’s going on.

2 Likes

Ok, I don’t even mind how the web editor looks as long as the app editor will stay the same because without all of the bugs it really is near perfect

Also do you know if Rodrigo designed the app editor that we see today? Or at least one like it

Im just trying to make assumptions based on his direction in design

2 Likes

haha lol

I actually don’t know for sure, but I think he did

2 Likes

Also is there a specific reason the layout is all vertical?

1 Like

Yk what though that might be easier on computers though because bottom bars are kinda hard to reach with a mouse

1 Like

What about the fact it takes almost forever to find a single variable out of like 50-100 of them? (Yes, I sometimes have that many, especially in large complex games)

2 Likes

Thats why I said near lol /lh

Its just easy to use, unique, quick, and really just makes logical sense.

1 Like

Isn’t the mouse already at the bottom when clicking the plus icon?

2 Likes

Thats actually a super great point and I have literally no idea how I didn’t notice but yeah that is really difficult when it comes to using the editor quickly…

1 Like

And wait omg did I just see a when spacebar is pressed block??? Is this actually real? :D

2 Likes

That was probably a mistake. It was probably supposed to say “When device is shaken” (or maybe it was made to show the desktop version of it because everyone knows you can’t actually shake your computer (don’t even try)).

2 Likes

Aww really…

1 Like

it just made the screen pinch my fingers! do not try to shake your computer wrost mistake of my life

this is definitely one of the most annoying parts of the current editor.

Being able to type the name of a variable to search for it would be very helpful, so instead of having to scroll around and find the variable called “last touch x” you could just type “ltx” and let it autocomplete.

5 Likes

A lot of search functions are smart and will find results that match the beginning of any word.

For example, typing “Na” will show Name as a result, but not Username

4 Likes

I feel like it should also find username just as a second result to name

3 Likes

Also, are my ears malfunctioning, or did I hear Rodrigo say they are trying to move away from subscriptions at some point?!

2 Likes

Most people who are trying to find Username will more likely start to type in “User” rather than “Name”

But it could also show up as a “Partial Matches” or “Related Matches”

1 Like

When looking for things when coding I tend to type whatever I have figured out is the fastest way to get to it, so maybe un would distinguish “username” from something like “users” or seomthing.

3 Likes