Leadership in the forum

announcement

The forum is growing so much! We've been blown away by everything that each of you has added to the community. You’ve really made Hopscotch so much more enriching. Thank you!

To keep this up, we’ve added a few new leaders because we need help managing all your great posts!

Now you’re probably wondering, “What are ‘leaders’?” This post should tell you everything you need to know...But ask away if you have more questions :slightly_smiling:

What are ‘leaders’ and why do we have them?
The forum is way too big for just THT (The Hopscotch Team) (mainly me!) to manage, and leaders help us keep it happy and helpful. They set the tone of the forum by providing useful answers to questions and making sure that topics are relevant and positive.

The forum software we use, Discourse, describes it like this: “Leaders are regulars who have been around forever and seen everything. They set a positive example for the community through their actions and their posts. If you need advice, these are the folks you turn to first.”

How are Leaders chosen?
The Hopscotch Team chooses leaders. We look for Hopcotchers who have been a part of our community for a long time and who consistently demonstrate kindness, helpfulness, maturity, and excitement about building on Hopscotch. Some specific things we look at include time on and participation in the forum and the app (how much, what, and how you contribute).

Leaders focus on, and represent, our community.

If I want to become a leader, what should I do?
Help make the forum a place you are proud to be a part of! And keep at it—it takes time to become a leader in anything, including Hopscotch.

• Be helpful: ask good questions, answer other people's questions and direct them to other relevant threads
  • Be kind: always be respectful, keep your cool, and treat people like you want to be treated; don't gossip or talk about other Hopscotchers
  • Make it useful: post on the forum about making stuff on Hopscotch
  • Be mature and responsible (this is why you've noticed that many of the leaders are older—we get better at these things as we get older :stuck_out_tongue: )
  • Spread positive energy throughout the community. Have fun!

Some other good ideas here from @Poptart0219 and @RobotPro and here from @Giraffedolphin26

What happens if I’m not chosen as a leader?
Everyone who consistently demonstrates awesomeness in the forum already is a leader.

There are over a thousand Hopscotchers in the forum who need your help! We’re counting on you to make this forum an awesome place to be creative and make cool things. So, ask questions when you have them, help other people out when you can, and always try to be your best self. Each one of you is hugely important to the forum and to us, and we’re so grateful that you choose to spend your time making stuff on Hopscotch.

<3 <3 <3
Liza and the whole Hopscotch Team!

People Who Could Become Leader (and advice to become one!)
Community Leaders on the Forum (Recap)

Woah long post love this topic it answers a LOT of my questions that I was too lazy to make topics about :smiley:

This is really good announcement! Thanks for sharing this! These are great tips! I really hope I become a leader one day! :wink: Also, is it mostly you who promotes people? @Liza

Great topic @Liza!! Lots of people wants me to be a leader but I think I should be a regular for a while first.

Thank you for this, it was greatly needed amongst the forums with this new change.

This made the leadership guidelines... A LOT better!
And what you said about BEING a leader on the forum, I can totally agree!
I wouldn't have said anything different!
Tip for y'all-
When you see a "Lonely Topic" (A topic that has no action) or a topic asking for help, take a look! I've learned from doing things like this that:
1. You can learn something!
2. You may be having the same problem! (Or had that problem at one point, it's always good to be able to relate!)
3. You can make that person's day by giving them a helping hand.

OK! Thanks Liza! I hope you have more help now! I can't believe how big the community got! It is AWESOME!

The community has grown so much @Liza! ITS AWESOME! Great post, keep awesome

Thanks @Liza for explaining!

This is a good announcement to make! Especially with all the promotions going on lately! I'm glad you think my ideas are good!

:smile:

This is great @liza! I am going for the leader badge right now! And yes everyone is a leader sometimes they just don't have the badge! And we all make mistakes so don't get worried I'f your like "I have been flagged now what do I do!" It's like when your drawing you make mistakes or even with coding as a exspample I should have been nicer to codelife and been flagged like 3 times but it's okay! I will bookmark this!

Cool! I have been a regular for 3 months, do I need a few more months (and try not to get flagged) to be a leader?

Great job! I agree. Leader promotions only come to those who are:
Mature, kind, helpful, useful, responsible, positive

This is so awesome Liza! This even helped me understand more about Leadership and why the sudden amount of Leaders!

Why does it say smile by ur name??

I made it as my title. Moderators and Admins can make their own custom titles! I like to stay positive, so I write Smile! Yesterday, I had "Be Happy".

@Liza, would you be willing to review an email I sent to you?

:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink: im going to start using these more :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Oh and great post! :wink:

We're on daily, we're two people, and we're on often, so we could become a regular quickly and if we get leader, then you have two patrollers. Oh, and @Liza, the search button on the forum is glitchy, it totally stops the forum so you can't do anything, and I have trouble typing, it slows the keyboard down, and pretty much the only thing you can do is exit Safari. Then I have to wait five minutes.