:Hopscotch: Leaders Q and A Topic 1

I meant Discor.d bot on GitHub, sorry for the confusion.

@Leaders can I share the source code on here?

4 Likes

hey @Cherry!
we’re all allowed one username change per year - ask here - or email ana - if you’d like one!

8 Likes

Would y’all happen to have any updates on the discourse bugs?

6 Likes

What do you mean without flagging it?

2 Likes

We personally have no information on the forum investigation

6 Likes

Hey everyone.

I’ve noticed a few concerns over the topic of replying to a new topic with simply just “first”, “first post”, or anything closely similar. It’s a very common thing and I just wanted to touch on it very quickly.

There are a lot of ways to check if your post helps the topic or the general idea of the topic

Is it constructive?

In what way does your post contribute to the idea? Now there might be a suggestion you don’t agree with so simply saying something like “I don’t agree because…” or something similar to that. Contribute or give your opinion on the idea or topic instead of just “I don’t think this is a good idea” or "No’. These types of posts serve almost no purpose because there is no reason behind it. State your opinion as to why you do or don’t agree instead of just saying your opinion and leaving it as be. Also “nice post” is very constructive either. Why is it a nice post? What is good about it that you like for you to say it’s a nice post?

Is it relevant?

How is your post relevant to the topic? Off-topic posts can create a whole conversation that might not even relate to the topic and cause a whole mess on a topic that may have been a great idea. Make sure that when you post that it relates to the topic. This will encourage discussion over the topic and might expand the original idea into something better than it was before. When posting; Do be sure that your post relates to the topic and is also constructive.

Conclusion

So before you hit reply after you type your post think to yourself, “how will this contribute to the topic and is it relevant to the topic?” We understand that it seems cool to post first on a new topic which is fine but the first post containing one or more similar words that closely relate to “first” isn’t. Just try to avoid these types of posts and reply with constructive on-topic posts that benefit the idea or topic. If you disagree; Great! Explain why you disagree rather than “No”, “I don’t think this will work” or “I don’t like it”. Why don’t you like it? Why do you think this idea or topic will benefit the user, everyone, or the forum?

This isn’t a new rule or anything but I strongly encourage this. It will benefit more users and create better conversations on a variety of topics.

18 Likes

A very well written explanation to what’s been happening lately and why we should not do it as often, if at all. I agree with you, it isn’t constructive and takes away from the main point of the topic.

11 Likes

Nicely written- hopefully this’ll help people also contribute more to the topic in relevant ways.

10 Likes

Thanks, but I think I will stick with Cherry

7 Likes

@Gardeningkittenpup here! If you have any questions or anything at all, like on how the forum works etc, this is the best place to ask!

10 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try to remember

6 Likes
hey thanks for thinking of this - but I usually let THT decide when their topics are ready to close:)
5 Likes

Oh, ok then :smiley:

2 Likes

would it be alright if i were to reintroduce myself in the ’ Introduce Yourself ! ’ topic ? my initial post is a bit outdated

2 Likes

totally okay!

4 Likes

awesome, thank you :D

3 Likes

@TheCMStudios do you have the same option when making a topic as shown here?
If so, is it also there when splitting a post to a new topic?

3 Likes

Yea but it isn’t there when moving a post and turning it into a new topic

3 Likes

Hmm. that’s a bummer.

Also don’t you have the option to change the ownership of a post? Like, you could change the first post of this post, for example, to be made by you, right?

2 Likes

Yea it isn’t possible to do that. If you need an unlisted topic I can make one for you and you can make a post under the topic OP or I can have the topic OP contain what you want

2 Likes