Lambda Calculus

Discuss about lambda calculus.
Lambda calculus is a simple formal system for representing and applying functions that is turing complete (it can do everything that a universal turing machine can do)

For introductory information about lambda calculus, look at this short paper

The Numberphile Topic -- The Official Nerdy Math Topic! [OLD]

I'm definitely not in a high enough position in terms of math to understand calculus in general (I'm actually finishing up Geometry in school right now), but nonetheless, this is all interesting to me. I've seen the lambda symbol in miscellaneous places, but I've never really paid much attention to it.

This is all interesting to me. I'll read into it more later, but for now, I have a bus to catch. ^^;

link is to a German website

Wow ive never heard of this stuff :0

Wow I just found out that this could be applied to linguistics, I'm gonna take a look.

(I love computational linguistics!! :heart_eyes:)

Yeah I have seen lambda used as a symbol e.g. it is used for wavelength in physics with light calculations I think, but not much on those either :smiley:

I don't think this is much help to our maths category, should I switch the category of this topic?

Hmm I see you are thinking of where else to put this :thinking: (I have been putting computer science under #math because it is sort of a branch of maths and I don't know where else to put them.)

I think it sounds rather interesting even though we might not post on it immediately at the moment, but I am not sure :smiley:

Yeah, I guess it'll just hang around in the maths category until we start to use it

The more I think about it, this might be really interesting to talk about