“Jumpy text” when Changing Texts’ Index with Bird's Eye View

Use this template to make awesome bug reports:

Your username: Tri-Angle Studios

What kind of device are you using?: iPad 6th gen, iPadOS 15.x, Hopscotch and player latest version

1 sentence description of the problem (I was doing _________, and then __________ happened): (watch video below) I was changing some texts’ index with the Bird’s Eye View when i noticed they are also changing their name

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:
watch video below

I expected this to happen: Name doesn’t get changed

But instead this happened: Name gets changed

Here’s a bitter video:

6 Likes

@t1_hopscotch requested topic #3

6 Likes

This has been a problem for a while. It occurs when the object’s name contains a number.

Make me wonder if the project thinks the object got deleted when it got moved, so it increased the number. It doesn’t make sense either way.

5 Likes

This is actually how dragging works (deletes something and re-adds it) so it might be the cause. It definitely shouldn’t increase the number like that.

2 Likes

I just did some testing.

I added a text object, deleted it, then added it again (which added it as “Text 2”)

When I tried to rename it to “Text”, even though there were no other objects (“Text” was deleted prior) with that name, it still said I already used it (the original “Text” object might be still existent in the project’s data (via the non-editor), so that may be why I wasn’t able to use that name again).

4 Likes

I don’t think this is how it should work. Even if it’s deleted from the list of objects in the scene and added back to the list, the instance of the object should still exist at least.

2 Likes

This bug — and related bugs with re-ordering objects — will be fixed in a release for undo/redo (a bit later on):

3 Likes

nice to hear this! :))

3 Likes

This should be fixed as well, in our undo/redo update — Version 3.52.0 Official Topic (Undo/Redo)

3 Likes

a new version of jumpy text + new bug that doesn’t change the name to (for example) “gorilla” if i select :hs_gorilla:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thanks a lot for reporting that and getting a video for it too.

It looks like it might be easier to follow if we make a separate topic for this, even if it is a minor bug. (Can be a short bug report.) The original bug here was from re-ordering the objects in Bird’s Eye View.

Edit: actually I can add this to our list internally. No need to make a bug report topic, unless you would like me to reply on the forum whenever it’s fixed. It will probably be lower priority.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.