Issues with forum functionality on phone

Hi, I am writing here to report an issue I have had with this forum for about 2 days now, which has prevented me from being able to go online at all. The reason I am making this topic is that whenever i open a topic, The forum just randomly starts scrolling upwards. That way I cannot see, react, or even make a new post (Hence why I made a topic, not a post). I have this forum on the shortcuts app, and I always use that for visiting it. When this bug occured I tried opening it on safari, google, logging out/back in again, even restarting my device, and none of that worked (Even while I was logged out). If anyone could help that would be great, also if this should be a post then @/leaders can feel free to portal it;)
Edit: this only happens on topics with more than 10 posts

8 Likes

Hi @Noland,

We unfortunately don’t control how the forum works, so it’s likely an issue with Discourse or Safari. You can see if this issue occurs with another forum like the Discourse Meta, or if a force restart (slightly different from a normal restart) fixes it.

5 Likes

I always called “Force Restart” “Hard Restart”

@Noland basically, to do a Force Restart, on devices with a home button, press and hold the sleep/wake and home buttons until you see the apple logo on the screen. For devices with no home button, press the vol up, vol down in quick succession, then hold the top button until you see the apple logo (important: do not let go when you see the power off menu).

3 Likes

I call it hard reset, but that doesn’t really matter in this context. (I just matched it to the support page title)

3 Likes

I have searched a bunch of the biggest topics there I could find, and it does not happen there.

I will try this now, hopefully it works on iPhone

That just activates siri…

4 Likes

The button combination might be a little different on iPhones, but it might have something to do with the number of posts you read or something like that. If you have other details that would be helpful, feel free to report them though.

Also, for context, what iOS version are you on?

4 Likes

@Noland, i have this issue sometimes, and what i do is to start a new page (not closing the app you’re using)

tell me if it works (:

2 Likes

Try disabling Siri. You need to press them both at the exact same time and hold them. Does your iPhone have a home button?

3 Likes

12.5.5 :see_no_evil:

Yes, but I will try the volume one just as soon as I finish write this

No it did not unfortunately:(

4 Likes

I think this only works on newer models without a home button. My iPad Pro 11 is a great example of devices with no home button.

3 Likes

It’s different for iPhones 7, 8, and SE 2

5 Likes

Ok I disabled siri and did a force restart, and it kinda helped- it stopped scrolling now, but most of the posts are blank and it lags a bit too much to tell what is going on
Actually never mind i spoke too soon

3 Likes

There is a dedicated app for Discourse forums (the name of the forum software we use) called Discourse Meta. Have you tried using it to view the forum?

3 Likes

No I have not, as I am unfortunately not allowed to download it
Also it is not supported on my phone
Apparently, as it is not showing up for me on the app store

4 Likes

Actually never mind. I am currently on a computer, and the bug does NOT persist. I am willing to drop the blame on my phone for that then, as it is very old/outdated (iPhone 6 with ios 12.5.5). I do not think there is anything anyone can do at this point about it but me, so I do not think this topic will be of any use to me anymore. If someone wanna clive then I don’t mind :)

4 Likes

closed on request

Lol yeah I have

1 Like