Is it Possible to get Variables with Letters

questions
answered

Is there a way you could put letters into Hopscotch variables w/o a keyboard? I have one, but, it could potentially be useful. It’s easy to do on Tynker but not on Hopscotch.

You can’t even put letters into a variable with a keyboard. At least not directly, because Hopscotch only has numeric data types for variables.

If you cut & paste text into a Set variable bubble, the variable only stores the value of 0.

Letters & words can however be encoded into a unique numeric value, which is in turn stored in a variable. You can perform logical operations using the “word value”, but there’s no way it convert it back to text contained/displayed by a single object. Displaying a stored word value involves decoding the value back into individual character values, which are passed to individual objects (clones), which use a long nested conditional to display the correct character via Set Text. If you’re interested in this, I can give a more detailed explanation.

Yeah, strings as variables and keyboard input would be awesome to have in Hopscotch!

Okay! I’d like a detailed explaination!

Sure. I’m using the technique I described in a Text Adventure project, which has its own topic to discuss the associated challenges.

I’ll give a detailed explanation in that topic (but give me a couple days to find time):

To give a more clear definition, here’s an image:

This is similar to what I want out of Hopscotch

Yes

Me and Petrichor have done it

What does pen up and pen down do in that app? I saw that block lingering in the webplayer of HS and I want to know possibilities of what it can do

Pen down is basically draw a trail block, with any movements before pen up being the blocks inside of it.

if [Answer] = [value] does the action specified if this certain question was answered with what the programmer set the value to.

Probably something to conside for the Text Adventure?

However, the image is from Tynker and I have no idea what Tynker is coded in.

HS also has to worry about copyright issues with adding that feature.

Maybe it’s still being reviewed?

This block itself (boolean obviously) can have many possibilites to it.

Response to Awesome_E:

This is what pen up and pen down does and its possibilities

Say you were to create an art pad on Tynker.

Pen Down - Pen Down is very similar to “Draw Like A Pen.” It enables the object to be drawing a trail!

Pen Up - Pen Up does the opposite of Pen Down! Once run in the program, it prevents the object from drawing a trail!

This can be achieved through a longer process in Hopscotch.

Possibilities:
Get creative! Make an especially mind blowing drawing with [Project Name]. This allows graphics to make trails without making one huge line.

However, this can be problematic if you don’t define the color value and the pen’s size (or width in HS terms).

If you are wondering why this is related to variables with “word values” I want to create an art pad that allows users to put the text of their choice, into their masterpiece.

If you’d like, I could probably make another topic, specifically about this.

Yes, one of those “longer processes” in HS include either “Draw Like A Pen” or “Draw A Trail” but probably with a conditional and bool values.

Possibilities:

There’s another free coding app for Android you might like, it’s called “Pocket Code”
As you know how to use Tynker, you’ll find Pocket Code quite easy to use.
It has even more types of coding blocks thanTynker, but there’s no PEN to code with.
A Pocket Code project can be saved as a separate Android App as well.

Is there a version for IOS?

No, unfortunately.
All work done on making the Pocket Code app, is done by volunteers.

Why not?