Importing user variables from your other games

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is: Importing user variables data from other games that you made

I’d use it for this type of project: For example if I wanted to make a part 2 of a certain game and let the player keep their progress

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this: idk lol

Here is an example design I’ve made:

Variable screen

Choose what project to import from

Selecting which variable to pick

What it looks like once you’ve imported it

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this: I haven’t lol

Also I think you could be able to use them but not modify them

18 Likes

First post so that no one takes first

3 Likes

that would be cool

maybe you could select multiple?

1 Like

this will be def cool

2 Likes

why not?

1 Like

Ehh idk maybe you could I guess
Only if you’re the one who made the game tho

1 Like

This is a really sic idea.

Well you’d only be able to import from your own projects tho (like the title says) so that shouldn’t be a problem unless it’s a copy/remix or something

6 Likes

indeed

if we could modify it (our projects), we can save the progress like what you said

2 Likes

This’d be epic!

4 Likes

This is is a sic idea! This would be amazing! We could use this for choose your own adventures with multiple parts! Or maybe we could even make a thing like @Petrichor’s “petripoints” available to use in games!

4 Likes

I wonder if this already works if the variables have the same UUID, since those don’t change on publish like other UUIDs. And I don’t remember seeing the app save project ID, just the variable ID.

2 Likes

Mhm, for instance

Cheat in scrabble? -100 petripoints

Win in scrabble? +100 petripoints

2 Likes

So wait this could be possible already with some Json modification?

2 Likes

Possibly. From the way it’s saved, I think so. Unless I missed another formatting thing.

3 Likes

Wow that would be really cool
Lol I suddenly wish I knew how to modify JSon

4 Likes

Yes good idea

4 Likes

Yeah, this needs to be tested asap

2 Likes

That is a cool idea!

2 Likes

wait nvm it does save project UUID :(

2 Likes