Immediate calculations, 2 Bugs [Open]

@Ana @AwesomeOnion

HS Version: 3.38.0
Player Version 1.3.3

I hatė to be the bearer of bad news, but as I was trying to use immediate calculations in a project it became apparent (after hours of troubleshooting) that the immediate calculations are still broken. In one case the sequential conditional doesn’t execute in the same frame. In the other case, the sequential conditional executes incorrectly

Case 1

This results in “1” as expected

However when the conditional is changed to include a variable the code gets delayed. This results in “2”

Case 2
In this scenario the conditional is inside a custom rule.

This results in “1” as expected

However when the conditional is changed to include a variable the code executes incorrectly. This results in “Doesn’t Work”

Note: The variable ‘Frame Count’ is incremented once per frame in the “1st object”

15 Likes

So basically reopen “zero frame order”

10 Likes

@ThinBuffalo, can you give a screenshot of what it looks like in the game?

3 Likes

@Awesome_E
The bugs shown above are slightly different than what you showed in the Zero frame order topic. The code you showed now returns a green 10 as expected.

@dragongirl1264
The player just shows the output of the Set Text, which I already stated so I don’t think adding those screenshots will add value. But thank you for the suggestion.

7 Likes

Right, but I do remember having the same issue where putting it in ability changes it. It is the same type of bug though.

3 Likes

@AwesomeOnion, just want to make sure you saw this? since in case 2, the Player does not work correctly…

4 Likes

@Nazari is taking a look :slight_smile:

4 Likes

4 Likes

@ana @awesomeonion @nazari

Any projection for a fix (or even acknowledgement of the problem), at least for ‘case 2’ where the player executes code incorrectly?

Isn’t this a big deal to THT? You make a product that’s supposed to teach kids how to program, so not even considering the quality expectations of paying customers, shouldn’t it be imperative that your product work correctly?

4 Likes

This is definitely important. One of my projects I was making a while ago was broken because of this. Luckily I remembered that this bug exists but if I hadn’t it would’ve taken me a lot longer to fix it.

4 Likes

I have three tips to help you.
There’s a glitch where you go into edit, don’t do anything to the code, and then it will repeat things twice to try and fix the broken code. Sometimes it takes the number value. Each time you increase it, it will increase the number by 1. In this glitch, it will increase it by random through 0.5 to 2. So, sometimes when you set the variable to 10, it might actually be equal to something other than 10. So it’s not a problem with the code. If the monkey switches to doesn’t work, the player looked into the code and activated the glitch. So if The player thinks they executed the code incorrectly, they might have done it right, but have made hopscotch think they edited the code but actually didn’t.
(The quote usage ends here)

1. As the previously described glitch above says, the monkey might say doesn’t work. Also, it might still stay as a monkey, or turn completely invisible. Hopscotch will “forget” that you told it to set the text to doesn’t work, and won’t change to doesn’t work. If it changes to the frame rate x2, the previous glitch’s first part has come into use. Sometimes it does the thing where it takes it x2, but doesn’t get a chance to change the variables, because it figured out you didn’t edit the code. So basically, it would be a better idea if the monkey was just a blank text.

2. If you press or click or tap or whatever on the restart button, it is a 12 out of 1000 chance that some of the objects on the screen will not do what the code says. This is because you pressed or clicked or tapped or whatever the restart button too slowly, and the restart button changes its code from Tapped to Pressed, and the objects try and run its code the first time you tap, but realizes the restart button is still in use, so cancels its code till next time. When you stop pressing restart, the objects “get bored” and fall asleep, so they don’t know that they are supposed to run the code. Sometimes they “wake up” later, and run their code late.

2 Likes

I found another bug similar to the second one.
When you have start sound blocks waiting for a variable they will not wait correctly unless there’s a block between them and the variable being set

@awesomeonion @ana

4 Likes

I published this simple project to inform more of the community as I’m sure there are plenty of confused Hopscotchers that don’t understand why their code isn’t working…

4 Likes