Ideas for a *NEW HOPSCOTCH UPDATE*

hopscotch
ideas

Hopscotch isn't social media. If it was, six-year-olds wouldn't be on it. Social media is something like Facebook or Twitter

I think adding hopscotch to the computer would be awesome! I voted for them all besides other!

Ok i get it now thanks

Hopscotch is made for kids of all ages, so it shouldn't have anything innapropriate on it, like social media stuff

Social Media
websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

Social Networking
the use of dedicated websites and applications to interact with other users, or to find people with similar interests to oneself.

With these two definitions, hopscotch is technically a social media platform for young coders, but it's safe, and less focused on the personal side of the coders.

So social media is not just personal info (pictures, personal life) based sites and apps like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram etc. it's any website, or app that allows you to share or participate in content, examples like, Hopscotch, Draw Something, Polyvore, etc.

I'm not saying that kids shouldn't be on hopscotch, I'm saying that, hopscotch should not become a social media based off of personal info.

Yeah, I accidentally mixed up the two :confused:

It'd be terrible if Hopscotch turned into a chat/personal info social media

Back on topic, I'm excited to see the Web Player and new avatars. It's great to change things up once in a while!

do you think games will run faster/quicker played on a pc and won't expereince slowdonw-stuttering like sometimes on the ipad?

I'm pretty sure more people have apple products, but once the iPad version is perfect or close to perfect, they will work on other versions for Hopscotch :blush:

Hey, guys. I don't know if I've said this before somewhere else, but it just occurred to me that:

1. It would sure be nice to be able to go one layer deeper into math expressions. Especially the arguments of the sine and cosine function. It seems to take more cycles to evaluate an expression and then stuff it inside of another expression, than it would to just do it all at once. Maybe I'm wrong…

2. Also, I don't know with very many people were interested in my 3-D stuff (seems like it wasn't very interesting to most people, and that's OK), but one of the things that kind of bothers me is how the "tilt" function behaves, once the iPad screen goes completely vertical. What if I want to play a game upside down? or what if I want to play game that starts out with the screen vertical and can tell the difference between tilting the top towards or away from me? I don't know, maybe I'm overlooking something.

3. Oh, oh, oh, here's another one: I would really, really, really (I seem to be repeating myself a lot) like to be able to access the magnetometer. I know that some devices don't have one. But it would really be cool to make a game (I have the perfect game in mind) that lets you interact with the iPad using magnets. If nothing else, you could do some cool educational stuff, maybe…

Meh... Just some random ideas.

Magnetometer support

theres an app called Tynker for the ipad that is pretty close to scratch and comes with alot of pics and sound tro use. I'm using it and have had alot of clones and sprites moving quickly without any slowdown on my ipad 3 so it seems the hopscotch software is causing slowdown and not the power of the ipad.

Oh @oio that would be awesome! As I said in my last post, their working hard on it!

Hey, @PopTart0219, I probably missed it. Sorry. Which one was that? I hope I don't seem lazy or scatterbrained, but I'm writing an email and communicating with somebody over [a native apple message app] right now. Is it the magnetometer thing?

Those are some great ideas @oio!

1. We definitely need more mathematical things. Like tangents, for example

2. So updated tilt controls? To move in all aspects instead of just left, right, up, and down? I'd also like a counter. If iPad is tilted up ___ degrees...

3. This would be amazing if it worked. Imagine if you could code a working compass leading to magnetic north. Or playing hot or cold with magnets for a family member :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, @CreativeCoder, I think that's the ticket!

I'm not really sure about the whole hot and cold game. Like the idea, but not sure how it could work. I'll take a second to explain. Basically it boils down to the fact that the magnetometer seems to be just one little component in one specific location inside the iPad. It would be cool if there were an array of magnetometers in the iPad, but that's just not the case. The other day, I was trying to put some new wires into a wall (now, people, don't try this at home. At least not because oio said it) I stuck a magnet on the end of a rod that went inside the wall that would later help feed the wires. Then I used a magnetometer tool (app) to locate the magnet, so I could see how far up the wall the rod had gotten. That's when I noticed that the magnetometer is just in one little place in the iPad. Kind of random, I know.

Hey, I just had another one. I keep thinking about this and forgetting it. Probably, someone else has already said it.

You know how you set what is in front and what is in back? Well, if you have several objects, and you want to make sure that the right order exists from "back" to "front" it's kind of a pain only having a "send to back" or a "bring to front". Couldn't we just say, using numbers or something, how "deep" a particular thing is on the screen?

I know what the objection is going to be. What happens if somebody is sloppy and codes for objects to be on exactly the same depth layer? I don't see that as a problem. I think what you do, in that case, is you just put the last thing that was assigned the layer number in front of its same-layer companion. But you still keep their relationship to all the other layers as if there were only one object on their layer. Does this make any sense?

That's very random, but that makes sense. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that all iPads and iPhones (higher than 3G) have a magnetometer, if you're wondering. It might work if they do something like that when they make a version for phones (at least at a short distance) because it is smaller. I said might.

And for tilting controls, it would be great if something like that could be applied to swiping. For example, When Text 2 is swiped up 20 or greater pixels. Wait, that's another thing! We don't even have greater than or equal to/less than or equal to!

EDIT: That'd be good! Send to Layer: 5 or something.

Continuing the discussion from Ideas for the NEW HOPSCOTCH UPDATE:

But see how people handle pictures on the forum I've never seen anyone post a inappropriate picture on the fourm maybe it will be the same in hopscotch

There have been irrelevant postings on the forum and they've been hidden but, for the most part, that's true — people haven't posted anything inappropriate, which is a good thing.

We have a smaller number of people on the forum than on Hopscotch though, and I hope that the case would be the same on Hopscotch too but there is a much larger group of people on Hopscotch.

So there's more chance that there might be someone who's posting something inappropriate, and moderating more pictures would take a lot more time.

There would be too much for hopscotch to give salary to, and I got and idea for them to pay less:
1:Send a picture to hopscotch if ur sure
2:The next 1 min.-1day or so,hopscotch will tell u if u can post it
3:Post the picture

@KathrynJaneway It Would, So Lets Say You Want To Make Your Own Sounds, Use The MIDI Editor.