(Idea) Undo Button

So, something cool that I think would be cool would be an undo button. I have accidentally deleted pieces of code before and either fully deleted it or accidentally replaced it with something else. An undo button would make it easier to undo accidentally deleting something. Also a redo button should probably be added to if an undo button will be.

9 Likes

I think you can undo stuff

If you shake the device you can undo what you’ve deleted
It’ll ask you if you want to undo the deletion

5 Likes

Yeah. I think so. But I turned mine off.

2 Likes

I tried shaking the device afterwards too… not very reliable. Says it when you don’t want it to appear, doesn’t when you want it to appear.

2 Likes

I know. It deleted a few of my drawings. That’s why I turned it off.

2 Likes

I need this. I always delete giant chunks of code by mistake. (bump)

2 Likes

We kinda already have an undo function.

2 Likes

but it’s completely broken

3 Likes

That’s why I said “kinda,” I agree that it would be beneficial to have an actual undo button that works.

2 Likes

What do you mean?

2 Likes

In the words of someone more than three years ago:

But like Nobody said:

4 Likes

Hopscotch definitely NEEDS that!

2 Likes

This might be a bit late, however if you are using an apple device, tap your screen with 3 fingers to undo

7 Likes

As you may know, if you do this to undo a block move, it can create a duplicate block which later crashes the app (so the existing undo is buggy). The only changes that the undo button can be trusted with are changes to text in text fields.

Also, it doesn’t undo other changes that merit an undo but which aren’t warned about, like dragging a large math expression out of its slot (which destroys it), or adding to a math expression, or renaming variables, or adding objects.

Yes yes THT is small but undo is something that the team needs to prioritize for the success of the app for its intended purpose: intro coding. As a novice, editing code without undo is really nerve-wracking (I’ve watched this mentoring kids using HS). That source of stress is happily and totally avoided in other editing and coding apps.

7 Likes

Yeah. You’ve got a point. I would think that undo would be relatively simple.

6 Likes

If the original HS implementation was not written with supporting undo/redo in mind, adding undo/redo could be a big and daunting change to core parts of the app (data structures for program representation, and their connection to the GUI). But I strongly believe it is the kind of rethink that will ensure the future success of HS. And if Shark Tank has increased the ability to support new development, it is a good use of that money.

8 Likes

I should also mention that Hopscotch has a features list somewhere, with everything they want to implement, sorted by priority… I just don’t remember where it is, haha.

Maybe someone else reading this knows where it was posted? It looked like a Trello board, but I don’t think it was Trello.

EDIT: Courtesy of @GOATGAMES (thank you for the point!):

6 Likes

I agree with everything you’re saying. I was only jokingly suggesting that Cuban himself would care about undo.

I also think that for HS to grow it needs to make the intro-to-coding experience for new users (nevermind those accustomed to its quirks and bugs) as enjoyable and rewarding as possible. Compared to other things in the intro-to-coding market, not having undo is a drawback for HS.

Undo is not on the roadmap. Why not?

4 Likes

Unfortunately iOS and iPadOS’s undo/redo buttons do not work very well in Hopscotch, because it was not meant to work in the app. So you’ll run into problems such as code duplication or loss of code, or the app crashing which may also result in loss of code.

2 Likes

It might be in the situation where it is straight up impossible to add a working (non-buggy) undo/redo functionality to Hopscotch.

4 Likes