(Idea)More ways to transform shapes

hello. zza here. i think that shape art on hopscotch is very difficult because of the limited transformations you can use on shapes. for example, you can’t turn an object like a square into a parrellogram with the transformation blocks(set width, set size, set angle) on hopscotch right now. so i think it would be cool if we could layer effects on shapes like masking or polar transformation. or at the very least, have a “Skew” transformation.

9 Likes

Masking and color blending modes would be awesome to see in Hopscotch! I second that. Something to adjust colors through layering of objects would be great for making effects.

Personally, I don’t think I would have much of a use for skew in my own projects, though it might be interesting to make some sort of experimental project on perspective.

9 Likes

Yeah I don’t even use shapes I just use text boxes.

2 Likes

More general transforms would be cool; the way that SVG (scalable vector graphics) has a variety of specific transforms, as well as the completely general 2x3 homogeneous coordinate matrix, is one possible model of what to represent.

One thing skew would be very useful for would be accurate shadows (at least on flat surfaces).

Can you say more about the interface to these new transforms? For skew, would you allow controlling the direction of skew, or would it be fixed?

Another issue: associated with the two current transforms (translation via set position and rotation via set angle), there are associated object variables so you can query the state of those transforms. What new object variables would be created to expose the state of the new transforms?

7 Likes

This is such an interesting idea, I think that it would be really cool to see in Hopscotch! It could open up possibilities for more advanced shape art.

3 Likes

Ooh yeah, this would be fun!

1 Like

or you can just use the parallelogram shape

3 Likes

I need this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But you can’t use the parallelogram shape to make all possible parallelograms, which is why some additional transforms would be nice. (you can use a few different shapes to make all possible rectangles; that is a simpler shape).

3 Likes

True
this post needd to be at least 10 characters long

3 Likes

This could (maybe?) simplify 3 renderings if you could transform a square and stretch it out

Maybe there could be blocks to adjust each or multiple vertices. Maybe even add/remove vertices

2 Likes

Yup

1 Like

That would be cool

Yep we definitely need this, it would make 3d rendering a whole lot easier…
I’ve talked to Yuanyuan bout this, not much tho

1 Like