I was updating my maze solver to the latest player and then it broke

I’m not sure how this is a bug with Hopscotch. What does “it broke” mean? Does it white screen when you try and solve it?

And this happens when you’re playing a project, right? How can it be #data-loss then?

4 Likes

They think because it broke after upgrading the player to the latest version, it must be a bug.

3 Likes

Well, that’s not necessarily true. There are breaking changes (such as clone behavior changing) and a warning that it could happen. There probably is a bug somewhere, but from what I see in this report, it’s probably already been reported.

3 Likes

Ah it uses clones but that shouldn’t be a problem as it should only affect the grid. @Awesome_E

1 Like

Yeah but also it’s not clear what broke. What was that thing, and was it working before?

2 Likes

This is it before: Maze solver IN PROGRESS!!! by Mathematics 2 and yes @Awesome_E it was working before. I think the bug is with strings considering how it’s braking.

1 Like

Ok, but what was the thing that broke? we still don’t have details about the thing that’s not working

5 Likes

you do need to pay attention to the warnings when you’re updating, especially with clones and strings, since there were some big changes being made to those features between a few versions.

what specifically broke? if it’s there interpretation, then sure it might be the strings but what is the interpreter method? how is it coded?
theres a lot more specific questions you need to answer and take a look at because it could very well just be something that’s liable to break between versions as the disclaimer says

5 Likes

The intuputer method for the grid is a caicter at index block involving the clone index. I just did a bit more debugging and it appears it has to do with the chariters in _ between _ and _ block. I will do more debugging.
Edit: it’s changing it to a number during the process. I think that’s already reported. If so can you please move it there?

1 Like

The movement of the end and beginning.
Edit: actually placing anything does it but not as ovisly.

1 Like

if you used clone indexes here, its not a bug and your code will need adjustment
if the string (19283727 for example) is being changed to just a number, then add an insignificant character after the string ends (19283727# for example) and adjust whenever you use the length of the string

2 Likes

That’s what I did.

1 Like

has that fixed your issue?

2 Likes

No I mean that’s what it already did. So no it didn’t fix it.

1 Like

Have you tried using letters instead?

I used

o=path
x=barrier
s=start
e=end

I had an issue related to numbers, even though the entire thing was treated as a string. Well, actually, the root of my problem was in the generation when I was initializing the maze data (it wouldn’t add the trailing 0’s). So I switched those to o’s and it worked like a charm (it might not work for you since you updated your project from player 1.5.x).

Speaking of, do “save input to (self nothing) prompt (maze data)” and see if you spot anything off…

It doesn’t explain why you’re getting duplicate ends, though…

1 Like

I did a little debugging for you and noticed this:

• On generation: all characters appear as intended (it was ,,1300000000000000000000000)
  • On first tap to change the maze: something’s not right, here… mass amounts of characters were unexpectedly deleted (it returned ,,1003)
  • On second: OH MY! (it returned ,,10033)
2 Likes

That’s how I figured that out! Except I set the debug object to the level data. @Crosbyman64

Yep this is already reported here
Can a leader please merge this topic?

@Awesome_E can you please do this?

Let me get this right first – the issue you’re facing is the same as the one reported, right?

If that’s the case, the original bug report is more detailed and clear, so I would probably just close this topic instead of merging the posts because this topic doesn’t really add much detail that the other one doesn’t already have.

2 Likes