How to use Broadcast Message

Broadcast message can be a difficult thing to use especially for new users, and even I was a little confused about it too but don’t worry it’s completely normal.

What is broadcast message ?
Broadcast message is a complex block that can be used just the way it sounds like! Yup you got it ! It’s Broadcasting! In another way it’s kind of like setting a variable - if you know how to use variables you know how to use the set variable block - Here’s an example! But if you know how to use the set block already, keep reading and skip this part!

The set block!

The code is basically telling the character to set a variable to 10 and when that variable equals 10 it will move forward 100 steps

So if you already know how to use the set block you’ll probably pick up up how to use broadcast message pretty easily.

In this picture the code is telling my character to save an input called random ( this part has not much to do with it ) and after that it will broadcast a message called random.

In this picture the code is telling my character to move forward once it gets the message, random

Well that’s pretty much it ! Happy hopscotching!
@/omtl

20 Likes

This will help me! Thank you! Great for mini games!

3 Likes

I don’t think you need subscribtion for broadcast message block.

3 Likes

Hmm, not sure but maybe your right.

3 Likes

Cuz I have it and I’ve never bought the subscription.

3 Likes

No problem!

2 Likes

Oh well, then your right - time to edit !

3 Likes

Darn, can’t edit it anymore - could @Leaders please edit it, Thank you

6 Likes

Yeah it can be difficult. Also, non-subscribers can use the broadcast message block.

The main difference between set block and broadcast message is that the set block method executes code continuously until the variable changes value, and the broadcast message method only executes the code once. Sometimes it doesn’t work very well…

One more thing: you cannot broadcast a message that is currently executing its code.

4 Likes

what would you like me to edit it into?

4 Likes

Maybe new users, Instead of people who just got the sub

4 Likes

Yeah it was a different character

3 Likes

I definitely know it can be difficult for newcomers who are just getting started with hopscotch.

3 Likes

use it a lot for loading scene in sky lol (yes, again sky)

4 Likes

How’s that?

4 Likes

True, that’s why i use the set block more often

5 Likes

Great ! Thanks !

5 Likes

Fun fact: I used both methods in one project.

4 Likes

Nice, that’s great! :smiley:

3 Likes

I dont actually like to set the value…i like broadcast more

3 Likes