How to Update a Published Project from a Draft

Updating projects from draft data is a popular feature request that still needs to be implemented in Hopscotch. In the meantime, however, I have created something that allows you to select a draft file and use its contents to update an existing project. Here’s how you use it.

Update From Draft Shortcut

1. Download the shortcut.
  2. When importing the shortcut, you will be asked for your Hopscotch username and password. [1]
  3. Make sure the draft you want to use is the most recent one.
  4. Copy the link of the project you want to update.
  5. Run the shortcut, and paste the URL of the project.
  6. Choose the most recent file in iPad > Hopscotch > json_projects
  7. Change the title if you’d like, then press done when the information is correct.
  8. Reload your Hopscotch profile. The project should appear as if you just updated it in the app.

All done – hope you found this tutorial helpful! If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know here, and I will do my best to answer them.

@Good-Es @TheModders (you should join these if you like this kind of stuff!)

Side note: I might make this into a Project Composer Module at some point, but there’s not that much of a need for it since HPCX is primarily for drafts.

1. This is passed ONLY to an endpoint that formats your project data and sends it to Hopscotch’s servers. If you would like to, you can also see the code on GitHub. ↩︎

30 Likes

Do user variables carry over? Or when updating a project draft would it not be considered the game project. Nevertheless this is a very cool thing, and useful away to get around this for now.

7 Likes

Most likely not, because it’s an entirely different project.

5 Likes

I think the variable IDs stays the same when saving as draft, so they should. You should try this with a test project first.

5 Likes

Interesting. Does it need to be approved like normal updated projects before everyone can see it?

4 Likes

As far as I know, yes

3 Likes

Does the draft replace everything in the published project?

3 Likes

Does it work on iPhone? I only find one file in the json_projects folder and I have a lot of published projects.

1 Like

Yes. The file is the draft you’re grabbing data from. You need to get the link of the published project you want to update.

Then, select the draft file. The draft’s contents will then override the published project’s contents

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Is this what you’re looking for?

3 Likes

Yes thank you

2 Likes

Wait seriously?
This is amazing

3 Likes

Again, use it for a test project first, but it should be the same

3 Likes

Wow thats sic!

Where is the password is inputted into the api?

1 Like

Into the web explorer login. You can check the source code yourself to make sure it’s not going anywhere other than HS

Here’s the code for the URL the shortcut is reaching:

3 Likes

That’s sic!

2 Likes

Game changer, how do you even know how to do this stuff?

1 Like

game? there’s no game, its a trick

2 Likes

“Game changer” is an expression

1 Like