How do you make good trailart?

questions
trailart
tagica

I need help making a wolf trail art, but I don’t know where to begin.

Trail art is made up of simple stuff, even the good ones.
First of all, don’t ask me how to do that line that gradually gets thinner.
Don’t bother asking me about anything that requires sine and cosine, I don’t know that either.

You probably know how to draw a line. Now draw a line, width 105, in a dark purple. Draw another line, width 100, in a lighter purple. You have a line with an outline.

For circles, take out a Repeat block and put that inside a Draw A Trail block. Set it to repeat 360 times. Inside the repeat block, put a Move Forward block and set that to 1, then put a Turn block after the Move Forward block and set that to 1.
Play the project, and it’ll draw a circle. Change the Repeat ___ Times to different amounts to get a curve.

For diagonal lines, pull out a Turn block, and turn 45, 135, 225, or 315 degrees, then draw a trail.

For vertical lines, turn 90 or 270 degrees, then draw a trail.

That’s the basics. Then you just stack these simple stuff to make a more complex trail art!

@Dylan329 is probably the most famous pixel artist here, ask him for so,e help (@tankt2016 has some good tips too)

And @IShallNotBeNamed is great, too, she might have some tips.

you need p a t i e n c e to create a good trail art

Well, that depends on what you want to create. @tankt2016 already provided you with some basics, and I can help you with that as well if you want. Just tell me what you want to make.

In general, either get a reference image or visualize it in your head. It helps to draw it out but I usually wing it. Then, after you have the intended result in mind, break it down into simpler shapes, lines, curves, and ovals. Work on the shaping and put several simpler parts together into something more complex. I recommend being very organized (even though I often am not) because you will have to go back and edit many, many times. Focus on overall shape and overlapping and then later do the details. Overlapping is a big thing to watch out for, it makes more refined and precise edges when done right and is much faster than colouring something in by going back and forth with a small width size. As you go on, you could work on colour scheme or you could use placeholder colours from the defaults and go back in and switch them up later. A few skills you might want for trail art are a good understanding of values, coordinates, and maybe a bit of sin/cos, as well as a good understanding of the blocks in the movement and flow categories. Surprisingly enough, you need to know more about movement blocks than you do about trail blocks so get comfortable with those. Also having a good understanding of HSB or RGB is good but you could always look up colour schemes or use an eyedropper tool from a drawing app or something to get the codes. Most of all, pay attention to the big picture. Always look out for shaping and composition. Think of it as an art medium because at its core, that’s what trail art is.

Hi, ISNBN!

Ouch long reply after I suddenly reappear after ages haha

It’s a bit vague but general advice is more helpful for trail art as a whole instead of just specific details for one project. Of course if you have any questions, I’ll try to help with just about anything (whenever I actually get to seeing it).

Greetings, fellow being!
Hello :)

Your trail arts are amazing!

Um hi your projects on hopscotch are super cool

Thanks ヾ(。>﹏<。)ノ゙✧*。
Since I don’t make them anymore, I hope the skills at least get passed down or could be used as an example. Maybe I’ll get back into it sometime during the winter break.

And your art that you post on here lol

That’d be nice
I look forward to seeing what you come up with next

Thanks, that’s actually one of the most uplifting things I’ve heard today (๑>◡<๑)

Hmm I should post some of my more recent stuff soon as well.

Yes, yes please
Your art is amazing
And you’re welcome uwu

Thank you so much for the advide! I’ve already used some of it to start.

Or you could add a sine and cosine equation to get more control of the circle you are drawing.

Here’s an alternative:

I like to find and upload an image, size and position it appropriately, and turn it mostly transparent. Then the image can be traced by adding curve datasets one at a time to the trail art pad. Then when done, the image can be removed.