How do you make a diagonal (45 degrees) oval?

hopscotch
help
oval
helpwithcode

I'm making an animal trail art, and it includes a diagonal oval, but I don't know how to make one. I tried regular values instead of sin and cos, and it looked more like a diamond, using 4 different increases. Both values and sin and cos are fine, if you plan on helping me.

Trail Art Help Center!

Rather than coding something to respond, I think you're pretty sharp and will understand just from this explanation:

(1) Imagine a line with its two endpoints (X1, Y1) and (X2, Y2).
(2) Imagine a series of circles being drawn with their centers all lying on that line.
(3) Imagine making the diameters of those circles start at a smaller value, then approach a maximum in the middle, then return to a smaller value as you move from one end of the line (X1,Y1) to the other (X2,Y2).

Now, I am sure you you can implement this for a line that is angled at 45 degrees or whatever you prefer. A fine way to do it would be to use a invisible text object that has been "turned" to 45 degrees, then "leaves a trail" whose diameter is changed, as I have described it, as it "moves forward" for some distance.

I get it! But I don't get this:

Sure. It means "I am sure one can" - as in anyone, you, me. Does that help? Would you like me to make something and show it? Or did you already work it out?

It already worked out, I posted the project! :D
Here's the link if you want to see it: https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/xsvai20o2

Pssh, that can't get in my way.

Awesome! I'll check it out. So, was it pretty easy? Did you come-up with your own master plan for it? Or was anything I suggested helpful? I mean, it feels like there are dozens of ways to do the same things, sometimes.

It's all good... :slightly_smiling:

EDIT: I checked it out. Great antennas!

Yeah, it was pretty easy once I considered moving forward _ with the width of the trail! (2) helped me quite a bit, although somehow I already got (1) and (3), even though I didn't get (2).

Hello!

Could you (or another Hopscotcher who is seeing this) code me a 45 degree oval? I'm not as sharp as @GysvANDRegulus is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you to whoever does help me out! :slight_smile:

Yes you are! You just need a good explanation, that's all. :slight_smile:

I guess that I could just say that I didn't get it the first time. :laughing:

Could you help me out a bit, please? :slight_smile:

Heck, yeah. So, basically, I just need to know whether you need a fast-drawing ellipse and whether you need its outline or a filled ellipse. We can do this a lot of ways...

Oh, yeah, and what orientation? Do we want the long axis horizontal? Vertical? Arbitrary angle?

For the project that I'd like to make, I need a filled ellipse! And which would give me a better quality ellipse, a fast drawing ellipse or a slower one? I'm assuming that it's the slow one, am I correct?

For the orientation, I need a ten to twenty degree oval, like this:

Ignore the rough edges of the poor quality oval. :laughing:

aNice picture. Heh. :slight_smile: So, I need to explain something to @crazygoat about editing long equations first, then I can do this. K? If you can't stick around, I can just publish a little project later.

I saw those posts. Go ahead! :slight_smile:

Ok, so, I think you're right. The slower, the better, if we do circles with stepping and variable radius (size). The "right" way, of course is to use a math expresssion for the ellipse, but maybe it's not so important.

First let me explain the previously talked-about approach. it has been quite a while, but if memory serves, what I was talking about in this thread was using a filled circle, otherwise known as a disk, of variable radius. I basically said that we could "leave a trail" of a variable with, along a path that has whatever angle we want. All we have to do is to make sure that the radius of the path (our circle) gets bigger and then smaller, as we go along the path. The result will be something like an ellipse, though, technically, it's not really an ellipse. Does that make sense?

A little bit! Does MagmaPOP use this strategy, and is it like the increasing and decreasing trail size in some of the lighting on the edges of the poring in this project? :slight_smile:

Yes, I see variable width being used in the "leave a trail" blocks. Of course, he or she would probably better explain the strategy. But I think you've got it. :slight_smile:

Actually, I still don't get how s/he did it 100%! Could you continue explaining the diagonal oval mechanics, please? :slight_smile:

I can make a quick example and post a link to it here after I do some other work today...