Hopscotch’s Quarterly Roadmap 2021

So local variables are very much in development. (Part of it taking longer than expected is that it is requiring reworking the way that variables work.) And undo/redo is currently been designed.

I would have to check for version control. The packaged code is also an important goal for us, I think aiming for this year as well (with local variables being prerequisite to that).

Sorry about the wait — I can understand people being eager and/or impatient. We were discussing that maybe it doesn’t work so well to communicate fixed dates with the roadmap, since those can sometimes shift a lot, depending on different factors. But the features on this roadmap are definitely what we are working through.

6 Likes

while i can’t speak for others i’ve rather enjoyed knowing what’s coming up development wise, even if you can’t place a date for understandable reasons. If you continue with these i’ll be happy to have them, date or no date.

6 Likes

Same. I don’t mind when it comes as long as I know it will eventually come :)

4 Likes

1. Local Variables (September 2021)
a. The ability to create a variable and define a local ‘scope’ for it. This means that it will be usable only for specific blocks of code that you define.
b. Example: Say you wanted to make a bunch of variables, but each one was only needed for one function. Instead of cluttering up your variables menu with a ton of global variables, you could make one local variable per function - and that variable would be the only one that showed up in your ‘Local’ variables menu when you were editing that function/specific object.

2. Version Control (October 2021)
a. This is an admin feature that will allow us to recover all the versions of your drafts so that if you accidentally lose your work, you can reach out to us to recover your progress
b. Example: Oh no, Hopscotch is giving you a Womp message, and it looks like your past two hours worth of work is gone! You can reach out to us via email, and we’d be able to recover your draft versions.

3. Undo/Redo button (October 2021)
a. If you accidentally moved your object in stage or deleted a function by mistake, the undo/redo will help you to recover steps while you’re coding – similar to the undo/redo button in the drawing function.

4. Sharing packaged code (End of October – Start of November 2021)
a. This will allow you to share snippets of your code to the community, and it will also allow you to load someone else’s packaged code so that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel
= Done
= Being Made / Nearly Out

2 Likes

Love this!!! Kepe up the lit work
kermitsippingtea image

@Yuanyuan will we be able to import code to an already made project?
Also sorry for the second tag today

6 Likes

Hey there,

Local variables actually took longer than expected to implement, so we had some delays with our roadmap plans.

We’re currently working on functions with parameters since that is closely related to our work on local variables, so you can expect that to come out next. We will be working on the sharing code features as well as the Undo/Redo buttons afterwards.

15 Likes

Oh, cool. Definitely keep me posted.

Just so I’m aware, which functions with parameters are you talking about. I’m assuming it’s the arguments to custom methods since that was the one blocked by Local Variables.

2 Likes

can u guys make a variable/function/button named after me plzzzz??? i love this app and owuld appreciate it

1 Like

I dont think they can name after it an animal

SInce like in some countries eating animals is bad and unethical
so it would be disrespectful yk

1 Like

Petrichor is the smell of the air after a rainstorm

So a “smells” block?

1 Like

precisely what i thi

Cant wait!

4 Likes

Me neither. Although I’m unsure as to what these will be like. A leak or image that shows a sneak peak of the feature would be useful.

In most coding languages, some functions have parameters that are used to control parts of the code inside it, and it would be called via a block with inputs. Wait, did I just define Scratch’s “My Blocks” block?

3 Likes

Lol. In python one of my functions has 20+ parameters. Idk how that would work in hs

3 Likes

I’m wondering if we will see any updates (major or minor / bug fixes), before the end of this year, or early 2022? I’m not too worried about it, but it would be good to know.

1 Like

Cool I really need an undo button that would make my life easier. For all those times when I wrote long code but accidentally deleted the object.

13 Likes

Ehem…
Out of curiosity, when will we be seeing the snippet code library?
It’s been delayed since October 2021? What have the developers been doing?

3 Likes

the generic response is probably that they have been busy, as they are a small team. i know this is probably frustrating to hear, but they have been working on it, i think. i’m not hopscotch.

anyways, i think that they are caught behind, because that’s not the only thing that they are doing! they have multiple other things to do as well, for example, creating new updates, filtering projects, reviewing community feedback, responding to emails, responding to reviews on app store etc.

so i think the answer is that it will come out, just delayed because of the hard work put into other things.

but im not hopscotch, so you don’t need to listen to me.

3 Likes

Yeah I can understand wondering what’s going on, particularly if you’re looking forward to the sharing code feature being out.

The roadmap has changed for the next quarter. So we have released local variables which were delayed, due to it revamping how variables work. Version control has also been implemented in the admin interface — we can restore previous versions of projects, and have done that when users have some trouble with projects.

It is true that we are a pretty small team particularly at the moment. I think it would probably be best to close this topic since it isn’t quite accurate anymore, but we could make a new one for our plans for the next quarter, without specific monthly dates — a little while ago, I mentioned this:

But in terms of features, what we’re focusing on in this quarter includes

• parameters for custom abilities (part 1)
  • parameters for custom rules (part 2)
  • community garden — sharing code feature
5 Likes