Hopscotch’s Quarterly Roadmap 2021

Hey Hopscotchers! How was your summer? We have planned the quarterly roadmap for the next few months. You can expect a set of new features in Hopscotch soon :star_struck::partying_face:

1. Local Variables (September 2021)
a. The ability to create a variable and define a local ‘scope’ for it. This means that it will be usable only for specific blocks of code that you define.
b. Example: Say you wanted to make a bunch of variables, but each one was only needed for one function. Instead of cluttering up your variables menu with a ton of global variables, you could make one local variable per function - and that variable would be the only one that showed up in your ‘Local’ variables menu when you were editing that function/specific object.

2. Version Control (October 2021)
a. This is an admin feature that will allow us to recover all the versions of your drafts so that if you accidentally lose your work, you can reach out to us to recover your progress
b. Example: Oh no, Hopscotch is giving you a Womp message, and it looks like your past two hours worth of work is gone! You can reach out to us via email, and we’d be able to recover your draft versions.

3. Undo/Redo button (October 2021)
a. If you accidentally moved your object in stage or deleted a function by mistake, the undo/redo will help you to recover steps while you’re coding – similar to the undo/redo button in the drawing function.

4. Sharing packaged code (End of October – Start of November 2021)
a. This will allow you to share snippets of your code to the community, and it will also allow you to load someone else’s packaged code so that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel

Thank you for all of your valuable feedback and suggestions for us in the past few months. We’re excited to bring these features to you, and please let me know if you have any questions!

44 Likes

yaaayyy that’s soo cool thank you tht!

8 Likes

Super exciting to see this announced, and good luck to the devs!

12 Likes

This is very cool. I can see @/anisotr0py being excited for that third one.

7 Likes

I can see Local Variables opening new possibilities that couldn’t be done before. It will be interesting to see what Hopscotchers will create using them.

The future is looking bright.

7 Likes

I assume #4 will also allow users to also transfer code between their own projects, thereby reusing code and not having to recode lower level ‘functions’ in every new project? (Or has that already been introduced :sweat_smile:)

14 Likes

oh gosh can’t wait for #4
I assume you will be able to share code without publishing a draft?

7 Likes

Wait, what? Really? My heart sings! This will be one of the biggest improvements to HS ever. Thank you for making an plan to support undo/redo!

11 Likes

finally, now im excited for the next month!

7 Likes

Collio this would be really cool to see
Can’t wait :D.

5 Likes

Can’t wait for this! :o

4 Likes

A lot to look forward to this month and the next!
Especially excited for that undo/redo feature.

4 Likes

New Features?

I Mean Wow

Absolute Pain
6 Likes

Omg that last one is gonna be sooo useful
Question:
Will we ever get custom sounds? Or a sound-effect library expansion?

6 Likes

These are great features! Hope bugs don’t come along with them though

Really good to see new things coming to the app.

8 Likes

this is amazing! looking forward to this!

6 Likes

I know that these sound effect suggestions are on the list, and we hope to get to them one day!

14 Likes

Henlo Yuanyuan!
(… that’s all I had to say)

9 Likes

Hey there, Happy Hopscotching!

12 Likes

These all sound so epic, and I can’t wait to see them in the app! Thanks for always working on pushing the Hopscotch app forward and adding more cool things and features:)

8 Likes