Hopscotch osu! Collab (snow drive is the easiest beatmap)

Hello!

I'm doing an osu! collab with @GysvANDRegulus! Since lag reduction and Self variables are now a thing in Hopscotch, making osu! will be much easier to make than on any other update previously. ^^

So... yeah! :p

15 Likes

I told you I am watching

2 Likes

Second to reply! First to like.

1 Like

Coolio :0

is this you & corvs discussion topic, or is this for updates and stuffs?

2 Likes

silently tags @XiaoMiaoMi and @i.is.an.anonymous

4 Likes

Why does everyone always want first like and reply? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Also @OrEndA

3 Likes

I could definitely try helping with music! I can ask my parents to use the family iPad about once a week, and I can redownload Hopscotch when that happens.

The music will have to be simple, obviously. And, if the music gets too complex, the entire project will lag just from the music itself.

5 Likes

Sure! Don't know which beatmap to make, though. Heh.

4 Likes

There's also the question of, well. Timing.

When I make music, I use values (well, they're now called variables) for BPM that I put into the millisecond wait blocks.
Maybe I could use the same system to time the hitcircles?

5 Likes

Sure!

There's also the problem of the music's timing derailing from the gameplay because of lag. I hope that doesn't happen, though it's possible with all of the lag.

4 Likes

I was making a music visualizer as my first big project, and I ran into this issue with lag there. The main problem then was that, somehow, the music notes themselves started getting wonky.
The "ding" separated from the "dong" of the soundfont, and the entire piece's BPM got chaotic.
I believe this Wait block glitch has been discussed, though (from what I've seen on the Forum), and it seems to me that it's been solved? The situation's improved, in the very least.

I'll do some tests with the new version of Hopscotch on what lags and what doesn't, as soon as I can.

5 Likes

Yeah, thanks! I was also thinking of making the notes play when the circle appears on the screen:

When Self.Circle = 1
    // Whatever other events go here
    Play sound (Whatever note)
End

It should make the timing smoother. I could insert these notes as I code in the beats; because I have perfect pitch, it would help me pick notes at ease. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Yeah, that's a concept!

But then the issue is that if the player doesn't tap the hitcircle. Or if they don't tap it on time.

I was thinking, to have a seperate object that's playing the music? That way you can add in rhythms seperate than the hitcircles being tapped.

(The below idea is an alternative. A laggy one, but an alternative)

When "iPad" is tapped:
      Set position of "Cursor" to ([last touch x], [last touch y])

When [Invisibility of "Approach Circle"] is 0:
      Set position of "Hitcircle" to [(Approach circle x], [approach circle y])
      Set Invisibility of "Hitcircle" to 0

When "Cursor" bumps "Hitcircle"
     Check once if "Approach Circle"'s size percentage is [whatever size the approach circle is when it touches the hitcircle]
     If Else:
           Check once if "Approach Circle"'s size percentage is [small delay]
                //scoring stuff for a 100
           Check once if "Approach Circle"'s size percentage is [medium delay]
                //scoring stuff for a 50
           Check once if "Approach Circle"'s size percentage is [big delay]
                //scoring stuff for a miss

Then again, this'd rely on that all approach circles have the same speed.

2 Likes

there's also the question of how in the name of cody's helmet are we supposed to make sliders

2 Likes

at first i thought this would be like osu droid/stream :P
edit: oh, it is ._.
also, Bézier curves (and sin/cos) aren't evenly distributed, so we have to do the stream hit circles one by one :/

2 Likes
When Self.Hitcircle.timingDone = 1
    If (hitcircle = hit) {
        increase score by 300
        play (note)
    } else {
        play (note)
    }
End
2 Likes

I was thinking of reskinning the whole game, making the sliders a line or something. Then, we could have the beginning circle be pressed to enable it, in which then the circle will follow the line. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

a round line or a line with a few angles?
also, if it's round, can't we use clones or trails on/outside the line to make a slider?

and if it's something like osu droid, are you sure everyone can play snow drive?

2 Likes

Lag reduction is pretty good, especially if you import lots of code into projects.
I know a thing or two.