Hopscotch keeps crashing within 2-5 minutes of opening app

I’ll email it as soon as I can get to them

3 Likes

@Mouldycheese8 @cool12317282728 @Crosbyman64 + anyone else experiencing this issue – could you answer a few questions?

Does this happen without internet?
  • This only happens when the device is connected to the internet
  • This happens with or without internet

0 voters

When connected to the internet, when can this happen?
  • While doing nothing
  • When playing a community project
  • When editing/playing a draft

0 voters

What iOS Version are you on? To find this, go to Settings App > General > About > Software version
  • iOS 15 beta
  • iOS 14.7.x
  • iOS 14.6.x
  • iOS 14.0-14.5.x
  • iOS 13.x
  • iOS 12.x or below

0 voters

If you open your notifications, then go back to drafts, then wait, does the notification dot ever appear again before the app crashes?
  • Yes, even after viewing notifications, I do see the dot re-appear before Hopscotch crashes.
  • No, the app always crashes before the dot re-appears from new notifications
  • The app doesn’t crash when I do this

0 voters

Do you have a cellular iPad model?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you have any network restrictions on the network where you are experiencing these crashes?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

The average time it crashes for me is 1 minute after opening any project/draft

Other info:

Device: iPad8,1 , iPadOS 15 PB 8, Player 1.5.17, Version 3.47.1

2 Likes

I had something very similar occur on an M1.

The only difference for me is that the crashing occurs when I tap the UI buttons while playing a project (notable edit/play and home). I basically played a project, gave myself a notification from a different account, waited for about a minute, then tried to exit the project. Upon exiting it crashed.

I also tried waiting for the dot, but like you, it never crashed, and idk if this is the same for you, but the dot never appeared when I just waited.

I think it has something to do with the notifications, unless someone can prove that the crash occurs after the notification dot appears

3 Likes

I think it has to do with screen time also because when I disabled the content restrictions hopscotch stopped crashing

1 Like

Not for me because my Screen Time Timer was turned off.

2 Likes

I can confirm the crashing only occurs while connected to WiFi, as it hasn’t crashed for me while playing a draft offline for 3+ minutes.

2 Likes

Make that over 17 minutes

2 Likes

Ok, another question. If you leave a project without it crashing, do you ever see the notification dot?

2 Likes

Nope, it still crashes before (seems that opening a project will make it crash no matter what, unless offline). Also, I got a notification when I opened the app, and I don’t get notifications very often.

1 Like

I just updated my device to iPadOS 15 RC 1, and the issue with crashing while on WiFi still persists.

2 Likes

Use this template to make awesome bug reports:

your username: Sandpiper_Studios

What kind of device are you using?: iPad Model A1893, iPadOS 14.7.1, another iPad of the same model and iOS, and an iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.8

1 sentence description of the problem (I was doing _____, and then _____ happened): Often while coding projects, I will be coding in most often a text object, and then my screen freezes. After 5-15 seconds, Hopscotch crashes. This happens on multiple devices, including my iPad, my mom’s iPad, and my mom’s phone. I have not tested it on my dad’s iPad Pro or his phone, but I’ll do that and update this when I do.

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:

1. Enter any draft
  2. Code for a few minutes
  3. Exit out of an object’s code, spamtapping screen as the menu is closing
  4. Sit and watch as your device freezes and Hopscotch crashes

(Note: this may not work every time. I have run into this bug a lot in the past few weeks but I never tried to really replicate it, I’ve just noticed this is what tends to cause the freeze/crash)
….

I expected this to happen:
Object to close like a good object and let me continue coding
But instead this happened:
Screen freezes, Hopscotch crashes
Here’s a sweet screenshot:
I’ll try to get a video and catbox it, but atm I don’t have one

2 Likes

They may not be related but I figured it fit better here then make a topic and it get moved here

This can be made a topic if it belongs in a separate space

2 Likes

Update: I ran into it while coding

2 Likes

Try turning off WiFi and see it that helps, then close the app, turn WiFi back on and go back into the app when you are ready to share the project (you should be good for at least 1 minute after opening the app before it crashes).

1 Like

That points directly at the bug being related to trying to retrieve notifications

3 Likes

it has just happened to me
i voted in the polls

1 Like

This started happening to me yesterday when I was using HS while not connected to WiFi.

After returning to WiFi the crashes kept occurring. The crashes occurred with any & all uses of the app.

Trouble shooting steps taken

1. Searched for app updates [latest already installed]
  2. Closed all other open apps [no effect]
  3. Rebooted IPad [no effect]

(Sent email using in app Report a Problem at this point)

1. Deleted and reinstalled HS today [Issue Resolved :white_check_mark:]
3 Likes