Hopscotch Gaming Competition

Wait… I actually have 3GB ram…

2 Likes

oops thought this was mss

3 Likes

Well, maybe 3 isn’t enough. I just know that 2 didn’t work and 4 did.

These are the following iDevices with at least 4GB of RAM:

• XS/XS Max or newer (no XR)
  • 11 or Newer
  • iPad Pro 12.9" (all models)
  • iPad Pro 10.5" and 11" (all models)
  • iPad Air 4
5 Likes

My page also reloads on the third game

2 Likes

Take 2 @Good-Es – replaced the third game with this:
https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/11rvglft5x

Shouldn’t need so much RAM to just play a Hopscotch speedrun, right?

Same link, new game

Same as usual; have fun, keep me posted with your best time (up to 1 screenshot/day), and try to sub 1 minute :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Fun fact: the newest game here is “Adventures of Stargirl” by Axolotl (the final game), which was made in May of 2015.

The oldest game here is “Help Star Girl” by MagmaPOP (January 2015), though earlier versions of my Robo fight were made in 2014 (single player version was made in Feb 2015).

I’m sure there are some older games out there, but finding ones that were playable and fun even today was a little bit of a challenge since Hopscotch has evolved so much. It was nonetheless worth it to find some old treasures that I think newer community members will enjoy both playing and learning about older projects on Hopscotch.

7 Likes

Yeah. That’s much better. I managed to finish it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great to see it working!!
(Btw don’t bother with linking images – system will just download it, so it doesn’t save any storage)

Nice time as well – I’d just work on Beach Volleyball alone if I were you and see what strategies give you the most consistency with scoring a point.

4 Likes

Yeah… I’m actually practising that in hs now lol. I actually thought that i was octo before.

3 Likes

do you have any tips for the volleyball one?

2 Likes

Sure, here are a few quick ones:

• It’s ok to lose points to reset the ball faster
  • Hit the ball when it’s at its highest point close to the net
  • There does seem to be some RNG to the movement
3 Likes

thanks, those helped a lot

2 Likes

Awesome! E

Are you going to try to sub 1 minute?

I think my best splits are something like this (which just shows a theoretical time):

Segment Name Split Total
Help Star Girl (MagmaPOP) 0:08.65 0:08.65
Find the Differences (COAN) 0:01.91 0:10.56
Beach Volleyball (SUPERSWAGGY88) 0:11.86 0:22.42
Robo Fight 6000 (Awesome_E) 0:04.46 0:26.02
Adventures of Star Girl (Axolotl) 0:15.16 0:41.18

(The Beach Volleyball was super lucky and idk if I can replicate that)

Fun fact: you can copy and paste the tables from when you finish the run and the post editor will format it for you

2 Likes

maybe

interesting

how did you get around that time? whenever I tried skipping through the dialogue it broke so I had to go through slowly

3 Likes

keyboard on iPad :slight_smile:

(aside from that note) there’s only one dialog where you have to wait briefly (“Here, you try” is that dialog). All others you can also spam click through

4 Likes

@Rawrbear you might really enjoy this speedrun if you want to get a taste of some old Hopscotch projects!

(I actually had sneak up here but swapped it because it required a device with 4GB of RAM to not crash the page, which most people didn’t have)

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I tried it!

It’s really funny: I don’t think I’ve ever figured out how to beat Beach Volleyball by @SUPERSWAGGY (miss you). I don’t remember if I’ve ever beaten it. So maybe I won’t be able to complete a run any time soon. :joy:

But yeah, it’s really fun!

Wow, crazy! Do you think the project itself could be debugged?

4 Likes

You should see the tips a few posts up for Beach volleyball that I posted.

I tried man — I really wanted that to work as well. It’s all of the text rendering that goes in to the flower, Steve, and Creeper “2.5D” textures. And the weird thing is that the page had issues because it seemed like the memory was piling up between games, and I couldn’t clear it.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s appalling.

I think I had some issues running it even with plenty of RAM, but I’m not entirely sure. I can’t check right now, haha.

If I recall correctly, the model didn’t load entirely or something… I don’t remember.

5 Likes

this thing is like 3 years old and it’s still open?

1 Like