Hopscotch Chatting in secret!

ideas

I think the hopscotch team should add in the ability to make projects that only certain people can see!
Do you agree?

Definitely not! What if there was a ⓗⓐⓣⓔ Mail, and the person was afraid to tell the Hopscotch team?

Well, what if you can only do it if you both agree on a reason for it? Like collaborations?

That is an even better idea! :yum:

There is already a topic with this idea. You ca pn check out the responses.

but that is on a slightly different note.
they say HOPSCOTCH IS FOR CODING NOT CHATTING and i know,
but we would be chatting about ideas for the program and code.

That was a part of what I said.
Saddly almost no-one saw

Thank you so much! how do you make a private topic, and how do you invite people?

You can't.
I asked for it, I'm like you but until today I am waiting for it to happen

Aha! i saw a Topic on a collaborated project, and only the people she mentioned came on, and there were no flagged posts!

I think @Kiwicute2015 is right as bulying online is already a big issue. If any bulying happens in Hopscotch everyone reports it, but if not all people could see the project then who would report it? The Hopscotch team are still trying to work out how to include photos and moderate them at the same time. How would they moderate the private projects is the problem.
Yes, when you say that you wnt to collab it gets frustrating. At the moment I am collaborating with PumaAnnie :crystal_ball: and because I don't know her in real life, I can't tell her the passcode to our collab account. This is a problem that does frustrate me, but we all have to put up with it. :yum::cat:

You guys do realize that you are talking about an opportunity for some creative problem solving, don't you? I am not encouraging anything insidious. I am just saying that, if you really wanted to solve this problem, you could do it.

There's a movie out that kind of illustrates a similar challenge. This astronaut, a botanist by training, and a great thinker overall, was stuck on Mars. Among many other things, he had to figure out a protocol for communicating with people back on Earth.

Or die.

So... "looking forward to not dying", he devises a scheme. And, eventually, the scheme is shared and understood by both sides of the conversation - him on Mars, other people on Earth. And one communication method is eventually used to introduce a better one and then another, until he had a clear channel with decent data throughput.

It's a similar problem, though obviously not the same, as you have been discussing here. He didn't need - didn't want! - privacy, whereas that seems to concern some of you. Well, I'm here to tell you that it can be done. Purely hypothetically. I'm just saying, take this real-world "problem" and let it be your inspiration for some out-of-the-box thinking.

So... clever coders, do you think you can figure out a way to send a message, only to your selected target, back on "Earth" (the one Hopscotcher you want to collaborate with) starting with only this forum and Hopscotch? I know at least two protocols that will work. I'll bet, if you think about it, you can come up with one or two of your own. If I can figure out a way to make this into a safe game (rather than a private chat) I'll publish it. Anybody interested in that?

:sunglasses:

I am! I am interested in this but I don't think that I'll have the skills to create it. If only.... If only....

I promise you, this is not a question of skills. And your statement makes you exactly the person to figure this one out. Try. Think. The whole purpose of Hopscotch and its forum really boil down to this. While I don't want to ruin it for you by giving an answer, I want to encourage you to come up with your own. You may surprise yourself.

the movie Brotherhood of the Rose. The sender and receiver both have the same large novel. A series of numbers is said to each other. The numbers are pages and words positions on that page like "120,12" that would be page 120 & the 12th word on the page. Reminds me of a ww2 German encrypter that automatically scrambled messages into code and only the receiver could decipher the code with their decrypter

That's just given me an idea to make a message encryption-deciphering project.

Maybe there could be like a password you need to enter?

Interesting question.....

Exactly, @Stradyvarious.

It's a real-world problem. And you can solve it. You might go create your own enigma machine as a way of accomplishing that. I know how to do so using methods that are beyond any who are likely to be reading this to crack, using no more than than Hopscotch and the web... but what's the fun in telling? Right?

I like where you're going with your thought. I hope you stick with it. If you do it right, you can make your own encoded hint-based mystery / treasure-hunt game. Do you see where I am coming from? Of course you do. And if you do it well enough, it could even become a thing.

:bust_in_silhouette:

i believe the hopscotch team would be upset if i made a way for members to communicate which they would find hard to monitor so i won't make the encryption project. But an easy way would be like search MONDAY on wikipedia when its monday and use numbers that correspond to the word count onscreen like i said with the numbers for the novels page-word.

Great Idea!