Hopscotch Academy - Always accepting new students and teachers!

Cool! I'll add you :wink:
(And the What you want to learn doesn't need to be courses that we already have, either!)

nice topic

Thank you! :wink:

@PIANOMAN we already have lessons for most of those.

Could I make a lesson?

This is too cool! I'll be using this many times now!!!

Quick Cloning Mechanism
Note:The screenshots used in this are from one of my project that was meant to count how many times a clone was made so I might not explain certainty n parts of a screenshot. Only do the instructions and not what the screenshots are.
For my students taking the Clones course (@ExquisiteSoup and @Kayro I am looking at you again)
Ahem, this idea was inspired by Valgo's Cloning Mechanism but he said that the code was completely different. Honestly, I think my version is easier but takes a second longer than his but ehhh​:joy:. This is recommended for beginners and intermediates alike...I also recommend my other clones courses, blah, blah, blah.
How It Works
In a long explanation, it uses to starting blocks to make completely separate clones for one object thus the process is sped up. In my Cloning Mechanism, you use some Conditionals, and some Game Starts.
In short explanation, it goes reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyy fast.
How To Build It
1.This works with any object but I recommend using a shape so you can visualize it. Grab yourself a Game Starts Block and make a variable called "Max Clones" and a variable called "Current Clones". Inside the Game Starts block, set the "Max Clones" variable to some really large number 1000......(alternately, you make another object that keeps increasing the value forever too).
2.After that, add a Repeat Forever block and inside it out a Check Else Block. I will probably make a Check If Else tutorial and if it is out then I will link it at the bottom of the lesson. Anyways, choose the greater than symbol for the first box, and inside the first of the two new boxes put the variable "Current Clones" and in the second one "Max Clones".

3.After the Else part of the block put the Creat a Clone of This Object block. This will create a clone of your object as long as the "Max Clones" variable is larger than the "Current Clones" variable. This is what gruel makes this mechanism very fast at creating clones, but there is one more part of the code that makes this Cloning Mechanism superior to a lot of normal Cloning Mechanisms.
4.Using a Conditional block as well as a greater than block, almost repeat the whole process again, with the "Max Clones" variable in the first box and the "Current Clones" variable in the second box. This is pretty much doubling the speed of this Cloning Mechanism.
Make your own Cloning Mechanism that does not completely copy of mine or Valgo's (incorrect grammar lol).

@SummarianStudios you have to join as a teacher first.

Sure! Would you like to be a teacher, or just a guest teacher? Either way is okay :wink:

Guest teacher please. :smile:

Okay, you may submit your tutorial!

I'll have it tomorrow

Okay. I look forward to it!

Oh, hey @t1_hopscotch, could you please make the original post a wiki? Thank you!

Using Sine and Cosine to Draw Ovals

In this tutorial, I will be showing you what all of the numbers mean when you put a sine or cosine block into your code, and how to use them. Without further ado -- here it is!

Today we will be making something like this -

Although the code may look complex at first, once you understand what all of the numbers do, it will seem (and be) easy!
Step 1. First we will put some code in telling the text object that will draw the oval where to go. This is super simple.

Then, add in a repeat 80 times block, and a draw a trail block. Set the color to anything, mine is just purple.

Don't worry about everything inside the draw a trail block. Just replicate the repeat block with the draw a trail inside, and delete the move forward block.
Step 2. Now add a set position block inside the draw a trail block. Put the math operator called cosine (cos) in the X position slot, and sine (sin) in the Y slot. Now let's talk about what sine and cosine do. Take a look at this zoomed-in photo of the block inside the draw a trail block.

The third number in the X slot represents where the oval starts. I want mine to be in the middle, so I put 500 there. The first number is how wide the oval is going to be. I want my oval to be tall and skinny, so I set it to only 100. The second number has a variable in it.
Step 3. Let's talk about this variable. It increases by somewhere between 1 and 10 each repeat. Why does it have to increase? To keep the item that is creating the trail art moving. If you didn't change this, the object would just stay in the same spot!
Step 4. The same applies to the sine block. The first number is how tall your oval is, the second is the same variable, and the third is where on the Y axis the center of the oval will be. Below is a picture.

Step 5. Finally, put an increase variable block in, as shown in the photo below.

Now test it out. Try altering the numbers to see what happens! Have fun!
Homework -

• Make a project using sine and cosine
  • Figure out how to fill the center in my project here. You will need to tap the screen to get it to draw the oval.

Can we be a student without having hopscotch?

I think it would be a bit hard to do homework....

Okay. I will join when I have school depending on how much homework I get in fifth grade. Thanks anyway!

Could you get Hopscotch....?

Hey @HopAcademyStudents and teachers, take a look at the new tutorials!
Students -- please complete the homework. If you cannot, just tell me or the teacher.
Teachers -- please post more tutorials! If you are out of ideas, I will be working on an idea list of tutorials.
Students again -- below is a poll. Pick which you would like to learn more about.

• Design
  • Game development
  • Music
  • Animation
  • Math
  • Control-flow (the blue blocks)
  • Pixel/trail art

Choose up to 2 options

Votes are public.

Thank you for reading this and completing the poll! I will look forward to looking at and critiquing your homework!