Hi Hopscotch Forum, Rodrigo here!

It probably took something around 1.5 to 2.5 hours to write? It was fun! I really enjoy leaving feedback like this.

Although I could have simplified the whole post, that comes at the cost of leaving out details. Usually I’d just leave a TL;DR; in this case I left a summary at the top (and a conclusion at the bottom).

4 Likes

Switch statements can only compare cases of a single variable, which can sometimes be useful if your only going to be using one variable per switch statement…

There are some block based programming languages (not including Scratch) that have expandable If-Else blocks. So far, I’ve only seen VexCODE (which is a programming language for Vex V5 Robotics) do it…

So instead of

if (true==true){

} else {
  if (false==false){

} else {

}
}

it would be

if (true==true){

} else if (false==false){

} else (+) {

}

The latter is much more readable, imo…

It also makes more sense since most people who actually code in JavaScript don’t tend to nest their if statements if they don’t need to…

3 Likes

Agreed. There would have to be a way to add new sections to the loop block itself, instead of nesting new blocks within it (maybe with a little + button).

4 Likes

I am not sure how to answer “what would that mean” question. Moving away from subscriptions just means there’ll be other business models for the company. Request seeds and custom art are essentials, if anything we should amplify what they can do.

6 Likes

That would be cool to see. The first thing I think needs to be done is get the image to upload at the correct quality. It’s been an issue since version 3.57.0. StarlightStudios was able to find a workaround, but it’s still very inconvenient and requires another device for it to work… in some cases, the blurry image doesn’t bother me, but other times, it’s extremely noticeable (especially when it’s next to a crisp image)…

5 Likes

Can you elaborate? I’m not aware on image quality bugs.

4 Likes

This bug report I made almost 2 years ago perfectly describes it, and even includes a screenshot of a comparison between an image at perfect quality, and an image at poor quality. version 3.57.0 was also the version where images upload at the same scale regardless of device, compared to 2 or 3x scale, or something like that…

4 Likes

I wasn’t at Hopscotch 2 years ago, so this is new information to me. Thanks for the notice.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if you’ve been told this but a great feature would be Some way to copy text or some other way to let the player share data from a project with someone else. I’m currently working on a game where the user will be able to share recordings of how they played the level and even share custom-made levels, and the code to get that data down to a manageable size to be copied by hand is very complex.

6 Likes

Yo, can you show me updates on that. Very interesting since I had an idea of that before

2 Likes

I’ll tag you when I get the next beta version ready, which should have the replay functionality.

3 Likes

@Rodrigo, just curious: how long does the design process take on average?

2 Likes

There’s no straight forward answer. It depends on “what is being designed”, or how far or close you are from the final product. Designing something that has a market reference (e.g. to-do app ) it’ll be faster than something that no one has ever seen before.

At a company with a product already in the market, design cycles happen every 2 - 3 weeks. At pre-launch companies, design cycles can take months - but it’s controversial, one school of thought is design and launch fast, and the other one is take your time to design it right.

5 Likes

im super late to the welcome back party but welcome back @Rodrigo!! :confetti_ball:
its really nice to see you around again :)) and it’s been super cool to see snippets of your work during my quick lurks. looks like you’ve got big plans and i’m all for the direction you’re heading in.
the community engagement is huge – i love the activity and brainstorming in this topic with you. it’s awesome that yallre being actively involved with the community again for dev work. maybe i just havent been around enough but it’s felt like that was lacking for the last few years.

thanks for everything you’ve already done, can’t wait to see where it all goes from here :rocket:

12 Likes

A request for hopscotch is making emoji length one or two consistently

1 Like

Another bug is emoji positioning between web explorer and hopscotch

Web explorer

App

3 Likes

That’s been there for a while – usually it’s the other way though is it not?

For me, web browsers generally place everything higher than they should be

2 Likes

Yes, I notice this all the time! It’s pretty annoying…

1 Like

You guys should report this in the Web Explorer Bugs category, instead of this topic! Seems like something AE could tackle.

3 Likes

is there a reason why? is it because ctx.filltext is measured wrong?

and if it bugs consistently (which is the case for me and iirc for everybody) maybe we can add a little positive y-shift towards the bottom when a game is played on the webex?

2 Likes