Hi Hopscotch Forum, Rodrigo here!

Dear Hopscotch Forum,

I’m Rodrigo. I’m new at the Hopscotch Team, again. I was a designer from 2015 to 2020, and now I’m back at the team, with more ideas and inspiration to make Hopscotch great.

I’ll like to hear your all your ideas, complains, suggestions, what you like and don’t like about Hopscotch. I’m all ears.

47 Likes

Welcome back!

16 Likes

Welcome back! :D

I’m I_Cant_Code, but I also go by ICC.

17 Likes

Oh wow welcome back! Super exciting to see new THT members!

I’m StarlightStudios, I’m a coder, leader, and curator on HS and I’m super excited to meet you!
Currently I have people over but I would love to tell you some feedback I have and suggestions later!

18 Likes

Welcome back, Rodrigo.

I don’t think we’ve met. I’m Crosbyman64, the Unofficial Game Developer (well, that’s what I’m calling myself)

17 Likes

hi Crosbyman64, I just played one of your games today. It was wild!

Anything you’ll like me to know? Any suggestion? Any recommendations for Hopscotch? Any complain? Any question?

18 Likes

Here’s one idea from before :D

19 Likes

OMG HELLO WELCOME BACK :O

design-speaking im guessing?

well of course a dark theme in hopscotch would be truly awesome

also, i think hopscotch’s interface is quick big (although friends has been non stop repeating im zoming out everything too small hahaha) so if, for example, the discovery page’s project tiles are smaller, that would be awesome - we would see more project at a glance

talking about the discovery page, the tabs are a bit difficult to find. if we also had an option to choose from a dropdown menu or even pin our favourite tabs, thatd be really cool and convenient! ofc masterpieces is pinned by default for marketing purposes hahah

but yeah i think thats about it - dark theme, responsive display size depending on OS settings, and new tabs design. that would be my suggestion

welcome back hahaha, im so excited lol because i visited your website in the past and your path is truly truly inspirational to me :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: i never thought i would actually talk to you one day :O

20 Likes

“send the result into a variable, get the variable, then use the variable, and finally empty the variable for next use” <— Isn’t this accomplished with local variables and functions?

14 Likes

That was part of the non-example

Like for example C#:

function HelloWorld(string hello, string world) {
   return hello + world;
}
console.log(HelloWorld("Test","Test2"));
// Outputs “TestTest2”
12 Likes

Interesting. Is this mostly a C# pattern? Do you find yourself using it much?

13 Likes

Welcome back! New members of the Hopscotch Team are always cool

11 Likes

It’s in most languages, even js. And yeah I use it daily.

Edit: @Rodrigo return - JavaScript | MDN

13 Likes

Oh, cool. Which game did you play?

Here is one suggestion I have made (which I think would simplify the way users do equality operations in variable blocks:

Don’t really have any complaints, but I do have an ongoing bug (which I’m not sure if it’s even possible to fix anymore…)

11 Likes

When Worlds Collide

12 Likes

Welcome back!

10 Likes

Cool. And I guess that makes sense, since the game is found on the Excellent Tab…

Are there any particular blocks you like best in the game? (i.e., Vanish Block, Dash Block, Trampoline, etc.)

Here’s another game, I think you’ll enjoy: SWIPE-A-MAZE v1.5 by Crosbyman64

It’s the largest game I’ve ever made, with over 1700 levels. (And a file size of 11.84 MB, lol)

10 Likes

Welcome back to hopscotch! super rad to see my favorite tech team growing, I look forward to seeing what cool ideas you bring to the platform :sparkles:
I’m Viridescence, both here and on the hopscotch app. :)

As for things I’m curious about for Hopscotch: It would be very cool to see more flexibility in data types that can be stored in variables, such as arrays and objects! When working in other game engines, sometimes I find it quite helpful to modify or reference the properties of an object from another object’s script, and having a similar tool to do so within hopscotch would be incredibly useful. This would make things like healthbars and syncing information across multiple objects much easier. :D

15 Likes

Here is a random suggestion:

I think it would be cool to have more percussion instruments like drums! It could make music sound much more advanced in Hopscotch.

Also, sound lag on the app is kinda annoying lol.

12 Likes

I agree. In fact, the only time it’s not laggy is when the project is played on the web browser…

I think it would also be cool to have some more mallet percussion instruments such as Marimba, Glockenspiel, or Xylophone…

We already have a Vibraphone, so I think it’d make sense…

10 Likes