Hashtag Channels are Live!

Hey Hopscotchers!

We’ve received a lot of feedback from you to bring back the art and music channels, so we did! You may have noticed our three new channels in Hopscotch #ART #MUSIC and #DEBUGME. Simply add the hashtag channel name to your project title when you publish, and you’re all set!

For example, if I have an art project called “Starry Night,” I will add #art at the end so that it’s Starry Night #art.

• About #debugme

A special channel #debugme is open too! We’re hoping that this will help Hopscotchers who are stuck in their codes. If you have a bug in your code that you couldn’t figure out how to fix, publish into the #debugme channel with a brief description of your issue, and other Hopscotchers can take a look at your code and try to find a solution!

They can remix your code with the problems fixed, and then you can take a look at their solution to make changes in your own code.

I would like to encourage everyone in our community to help out with the projects in that channel! Debugging can be fun :sunglasses: And I’m sure your efforts will be appreciated!

• A Small Tip

Make sure that your hashtag has all the letters in lower cases because our system is currently case-sensitive!

38 Likes

Super exciting to see this in action!

15 Likes

Very nice! I’ve already seem some people misuse the channels, hopefully this won’t be a big problem.

8 Likes

so nostalgic - awesome update!

9 Likes

Will it be automatic or will they be curated?

11 Likes

Hashtag channels allow Hopscotchers to add their own projects to a channel by just putting the name of the hashtag channel in the project title.

These channels are completely automatic, while the other ones will remain curated.

13 Likes

Yaaaaaay this is greaaaat :))))

8 Likes

This is awesome!

6 Likes

This is cool!

7 Likes

This is awesome! I remember last time they were around, so cool to see them back.

9 Likes

cool

6 Likes

:exploding_head:

5 Likes

Nice

5 Likes

Should this be “About #debugme” ? or is it really #DEBUGME ? Or is it “#DebugMe”, as shown in the in-app announcement?

Maybe make the hashtags case-insensitive?

I think this is a great idea. Next up: undo :slight_smile:

10 Likes

its really #debugme but for the purpose of this announcement, theyre all displayed in caps, the way you see them in the app

9 Likes

The Announcement project that showed up in my Notifications mostly uses CamelCase for all the channel names ("#DebugMe" appears 3 times), but also previews a view of the app with new channels in all caps ("#DEBUGME", “#MUSIC”, “#ART”), yet also says in a separate screen “make sure the letters in your hashtag are all in lower cases!”, which is not self-consistent and thus super confusing.

Will hashtags (as written by a project author, to indicate desired placement of a project in a channel) be case insensitive or not?

The most accommodating thing for new users would be for the author-written hashtags to be case insensitive, especially given the confusing way it has been presented so far. Also on twitter (where hashtags originated) they are case insensitive.

As long as the author-written hashtags are case insensitive, it doesn’t matter how the channels are identified in the app, but if hashtags are case sensitive, then the app should use channel names that match what project authors are expected to write.

8 Likes

No worries - hashtags are case-insensitive!

(Well, as far as I’m aware, they are. If you want to get real technical, I’ve seen both #art and #Art used in project titles found in the channel.)

7 Likes

oh, this is so cool!

5 Likes

Ok, great. So I’m curious what was the reason for “make sure the letters in your hashtag are all in lower cases!”

7 Likes

Hmm, I mean, actually I might be wrong… it seems that some projects with a capitalized A (#Art) slipped through the channel before the official project announcement went through on Hopscotch:

(See projects before and after Yuanyuan’s project on the bottom left corner)

Sorry for the misinformation :sweat_smile:. I scrolled all the way through the feed to double check and ended up seeing capitalized hashtags at the bottom.

I do agree with you though that it’d be better if it was insensitive. Maybe there’s a technical reason for it.

6 Likes