Hacking a block?

help
sin_and_cos
helpwithcode

Is there a way to hack a division block into the sin block, although I've reached the limit of blanks allowed?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

@Rawrbear you can maybe set a value in a sin block, and set the value to :heavydivision_sign:_

How did you do this? I've been trying to do that for weeks🕵

No, but you can make a value and embed the problem in that :wink:

Do you mean by adding a division sentence into the sin block? Or changing the sin block to division?
If you mean adding division into the sin block, then yes.
You put the sin block into another place where you can add numbers, but has no math in it, and put a division block in it.

Then you drag the sin block back to the place you want it to be in.
If you mean changing the sin block to division, then yes.
You take the sin block out and put division in. If this isn't what you mean, then here's a tip: say into instead of instead. (Sorry if I come off as rude.)

HSB Colours of Characters in Hopscotch

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

When I Tried It, I Released That The Lines Looked The Same. I Was REALLY Confused. Know Why This Is Happening?

850:heavy_division_sign:850 is 1, so the lines are the same

Edited. :wink:

This is a nice topic to be talking about, @Rawrbear.

It's especially important for the "sin" and "cos" blocks. By the way, the stuff inside of the "sin" or "cos" (or any other) function is what we call the "argument" of the function. We're saying that we want to make the argument itself have some math going on inside of it. And, yes, as already shared, there are ways to get more stuff inside of the "sin" or "cos" functions' arguments.

We're wrestling with an artificial limit on how "deep" expressions are allowed to go in the Hopscotch editor. It's a limitation requiring a "hack", like custom colors and decimal numbers. Today, you can only go so many layers (parentheses, really) deep in math expressions, without some trick. And that's what you guys are talking about. I'll tell you my trick, for what it's worth:

When I use "sin" or "cos", the first thing I do is drop one or two dummy "set value" blocks right underneath of it as kind-of a scratch pad. Then I rip the pre-made "sin" or "cos" function apart and drop just the "sin" or "cos" part into one of those "set value" block scratch-areas. Then I build some math for the argument in the other scratch area, then drag the mathlish contents of the second scratchpad area it into the "sin" or "cos" and slowly, step-by-step, build-up a function that's actually deeper than Hopscotch would originally let me go.

Check-out this function from the "4D4U" animated thing:

It's so long that it takes several screens, scrolled to the right, just to view it on my iPad. And working with it is even more... tricky! You have to make sure that, when you're build long functions like this, you do it from right to left. That way, if you're trying to drag something from a scratch area below the main function into a spot on the right of your big, long function, you can actually get to it. Otherwise, if you start on the left, the stuff you want to drag into a spot on the right can end up stranded or just discarded.

This, by the way, is one of the reasons I look forward to an optional, alternate, text-only (no puffy blocks) view of the editor in some future version of HS. With cut-and-paste, of course. :yum:

Cool! I would like, but I ran out of likes, so here :heart: