Guide to Shopkeeping 🛍

This event/competition/challenge is started by me (@ yourself) and all the currencies, rewards, and prizes are handled by me, not Hopscotch. You can find other similar self-started events in the Latest Collabs, Requests & Competition Topics, or even start one yourself. Because this is started by me, Hopscotch and the forum leaders are not involved or responsible in any of the transactions here.

Please be responsible when handling currency!

Have you ever considered making a shop on the forum, but you didn’t know what to sell, or how to make it?

Guide to Shopkeeping :shopping: :sparkles:

Here’s my guide to making a great shop! Feel free to follow along step-by-step to make something great and presentable!

(It works for shops to be made on coded websites, as well as new forum topics.)

Table of Contents

Part 1: Planning Your Shop :spiral_notepad:

Step 1. Never give up! :muscle:
Step 2. Read, or re-read, the Community Guideline! :balance_scale:
Step 3. Find something that people want! :left_speech_bubble:
Step 4. Find something that you’re good at! :man_artist: :woman_technologist:
Step 5. Decide on your products! :thought_balloon:
Step 6: Build a portfolio! :briefcase:
Step 7. Make a brand! :dark_sunglasses:

Part 2: Building Your Shop :hammer:

Step 8: Organize your brand and portfolio! :memo:
– Step 8, part 1: Branding :dark_sunglasses:
– Step 8, part 2: Brief Description and Portfolio :briefcase:
Step 9: Products and currencies :shopping::heavy_dollar_sign:
Step 10: Ordering products :shopping_cart:
Step 11: Finalize and publish! :sparkles:

Part 1: Planning Your Shop :spiral_notepad:

Step 1. Never give up! :muscle:

Even if you don’t make sales at first, building a business is all about self improvement and learning more about what you’re making for others!

Whether this is done through making your shop more presentable, by better meeting the needs of other people, or simply by learning or practicing more with coding and art, there are all sorts of ways you can improve your shop and get people to buy from it!

Step 2. Read, or re-read, the Community Guideline! :balance_scale:

To make a shop, you have to make sure you follow all of the forum rules when doing so! Before making one, please re-read the Community Guideline, so you know exactly what you can and can’t add to it:

https://forum.gethopscotch.com/t/community-guideline-for-hopscotch-forum/59225/

Here are some of my own tips you can use, based on the Community Guideline, to provide a great shopping experience :star_struck::

• This forum is here to help you improve your Hopscotch skills and share what you know to help others. Remember to keep your shops Hopscotch-related. Use shops to provide your skills to other people!
  • Be nice, always! Remember to be polite when guiding customers through your shop, and offer them a hand if they have an answer! If you’re nice to your customers, and you offer great products, they’re more likely to come back!
    • If you disagree with someone, disagree politely. If you offer your customers something and they don’t want it at that moment, be nice about it and let it slide. This also goes the other way around: if a customer offers you a deal that you don’t want to accept, let them know politely, and offer them a different deal.
    • Use respectful language. Politely and graciously offer your customers deals and products! :slightly_smiling_face:
    • Sharing your own beliefs doesn’t mean de-valuing other people’s beliefs.
  • Keep it relevant! Stay on topic to keep your shop more organized! Remember to offer your customers a product right after you greet them, if there is ever a bit of chat, to re-rail the conversation and provide a great experience in the topic!

Step 3. Find something that people want! :left_speech_bubble:

There might be requests from people to make sprites, art, pieces of code or make music. Pay attention to that buzz! If you provide products that appeal to their requests, they’re likely to choose you to make it for them! :mag_right:

Sometimes, people just want to see you make a project because they like your work, and want to see you make something that’s unique to them.

Or, it can be good to make something amazing that’s never been seen before, which you know people would want to buy!

For example, let’s say that Tony is a Hopscotcher looking for something to sell. He sees that people are struggling with art, and they need an artist to help with making sprites and scenery for their games! Tony is a long time artist, and he thinks running a shop would be really fun!

Step 4. Find something that you’re good at! :man_artist: :woman_technologist:

If you like making art, and people need it, then find a way to make those things meet up. The same goes for code, music, and even writing or design!

If you’ve been on Hopscotch for a while, you probably already know what you enjoy making the most! If you’re newer to the app, then experiment with coding and making different things on Hopscotch, and find what you like making the most!

Step 5. Decide on your products! :thought_balloon:

Using steps 4 and 5, try to come up with a clear vision on what you want to sell! Remember to make all or most of your products relate to Hopscotch.

For example, if you want to make art, then there’s a lot you can make:

• Sprites
    • Characters
    • Houses and buildings
    • Animations
  • Backgrounds (drawn)
    • Nature
    • Cities
    • Interiors of buildings
    • Abstract paintings

Don’t forget to use your imagination and make something that’s totally unique to your shop! Write down a list of things you want to sell to other Hopscotchers, which you think they would want to buy. :memo:

It’s also worth thinking about who “other Hopscotchers” are - your customers! Maybe they’d be Seed Developers looking for great assets, or other artists looking for code help to add new but complicated functionality to one of their new projects. :woman_technologist: :man_artist:

Tony is a kid from France who loves to paint, and he makes music on the side! So Tony decides to make a shop for making beautiful backgrounds and scenery for people’s games, and he also decides to make melodies partly based on his experiences in living in Paris!

Step 6: Build a portfolio! :briefcase:

This step is really important. You need to provide customers with an idea of what you sell by showing examples of your previous work!

:memo: Write down a list of things you’ve made, such as:

• Hopscotch projects that relate to the products you want to sell
    • Games with art or music in them that you’ve made
    • Inventions or code help projects that you’ve made
    • Drawings you’ve finished using drawing pads in the app
  • Links to art portfolios on Drawing with Hopscotch topics
    • Keep art inside of the drawing topic, so you don’t break any forum rules!

People will use your previous work to understand whether they want something from you. If your work is good enough, then people will surely see it and want to buy something from you, if they have the need for it or want to see it! By putting your portfolio on the shop, you set an example of your products and make it clear to people with what you make! :zap:

Remember to copy links to your best projects down, and take screenshots of them to add to the portfolio, so other people can see what they look like from your shop page right away, without needing to open the app. This makes it more convenient for shop browsers that are speed reading your shop!
However, this only applies to coded Hopscotch projects - for art portfolios, just provide a link to them, and make those links bold enough for customers to click on them!

Tony is an influential artist on Hopscotch, known for his beautiful drawings of nature and cities, as well as the mystical melodies he composes. So he copies down links to the art projects he’s published, as well as his music projects. He also searches for his art portfolios on the drawing topic, too.

Step 7. Make a brand! :dark_sunglasses:

A brand is defined as a logo, look or feeling that distinguishes your shop from other peoples’ shops. It helps you make your shop a unique choice for customers to choose from. Brands help make shops look and feel totally different from others, in a way that’s unique!

You can start by making a unique banner for your shop. By making a banner, it creates a great first impression for your shop!

Here are some questions to think about when making your banner (and/or logo):

• What are you making, and why? You’ll want to use these reasons and into the name of your shop, as well as the design of your logo!
  • How do you want customers to feel when seeing your shop? When you’re designing your shop, you’ll want to add images to it that make it stick out from others and feel a certain way. Here are some ideas:
    • Maybe you could make your shop feel modern and fancy! :sunglasses: :dancer:
    • Or maybe you’d like to have a pretty and floral feeling: :sunflower::rabbit:
    • How about an electric vibe that’s out of this world? :zap::ringer_planet:
    • Try not to make your shop feel too overwhelming. Try to stay away from designs that are too dramatic, so customers aren’t stressed out while looking at your products!

To help with the creation process, write down three adjectives that describe your shop! Then you can make your banner using those three adjectives you thought of. You can make a logo and banner using Hopscotch, or with other art apps you’ve used before!

Also, think of a good topic title name as a part of your brand! Add the shop name, as well as what you’ll be selling, such as coded requests, game art, or both - make sure the shop type describes how your shop is relevant to Hopscotch. Make sure to clarify the shop type on the banner, too.

If you do these things, it will make your shop so much more memorable to your customers!

Tony decides to go with something grand for a shop banner. He loves the idea of making all sorts of fancy backgrounds and music. The words he uses to describe his shop are whimsical, fancy and glamorous, and he uses these words to design a topic title, aesthetic for his brand:

Topic title: “Tony’s Fantasy Art Shop [Game Art and Coded Music]”

He also decides to paint a flower for his shop logo:

Tony is a made up human being, for the purpose of this example. Images used are courtesy of Pixabay, and not actually made by me, @Rawrbear.

Please make your own images and logos!

Part 2: Building Your Shop :hammer:

Step 8: Organize your brand and portfolio! :memo:

In this step, we take part of what we wrote down earlier - our branding and portfolio notes - and we put it all together!

Part 1: Branding :dark_sunglasses:

You want to make a great first impression for your customers. That means that you want to put the coolest stuff towards the top of the topic, where the customer always ends up first! Put your banner at the top, as well as your shop logo, unless you included that in the banner already!

Part 2: Brief Description and Portfolio :briefcase:

After adding your banner, you’ll want to describe your shop to your customers. You’ll also want to add your portfolio, also known as your experience with making the types of products you’re selling!

First, welcome your customers to be nice, and write a short description of your shop products, as well as why you chose to make a shop. Keep it brief; most people there just to speedread and check out your shop won’t want to read a whole paragraph! :mag_right:

Then, add your portfolio. The portfolio section should be a separate organized section with the links to your best projects, which you collected before! You can add your best work, like games or art, as long as they relate to what you’re selling. Describe what you did to your project that made it really good! Most customers look for a high enough quality when browsing your products. :sparkles:

Start it off with a header such as “My Experience” or “My Best Work”, and then add your links and images in! Don’t forget to describe what you added that made your project awesome! The whole point is to prove yourself, so customers will want to buy from you!

Here’s an example of a portfolio:

My Best Hopscotch Projects

[Project link 1]: This is my best project ever! I made all of the sprites shown in this game, and I’m selling sprites like these in my shop.
[Image of project]

[Project/post link 2]: [Description on why the work is important for your customers to see, so they’re willing to buy your products]
[Image of project]

[Links to as many art portfolio posts as you’ve made which you’re happiest with]

And feel free to make images with custom fonts for your header sections if you want to make it look fancier and more on-brand! It’s your shop, and this is just a guide - you can choose exactly how you want your shop to look in the end!

Step 9: Products and currencies :shopping::heavy_dollar_sign:

Now that you have your shop brand, description and portfolio added, it’s time to list all of your products!

First, let’s talk about prices: you’ll also have to choose currencies to use at your shop! There are a couple choices. Here’s a basic rundown of some currencies you can choose to use:

• Seeds :seedling: are an in-app currency that can be a great way to earn some extra spending cash for Hopscotch! Lots of seed developers have seeds on them, so you can sell your products to them. Since they’re priced around real money, they’re easy to implement and understand how to use.
    • Always charge for products in intervals of 5! Customers can pay other people, but they can only use 5 seeds at a time, using mushrooms to plant one of your projects.
  • Balloons :balloon: are an open and versatile forum currency which provides a fair playing field among all forumers and artists. If you get enough of them, you can get bonuses by using the currency!
    • As of writing this guide, 1 balloon is worth about 10 seeds! Divide how many seeds you’d charge for a product by ten to get an accurate balloon price. This is accurate as of writing this topic on July 2021; feel free to ask on the balloons topic for updated conversion rates.
  • :x::x: Don’t use Hopbytes! They’re not transferable between Hopscotchers, meaning that you can’t sell things with this currency.
  • :x::x::x: Never ever use or accept dollars, euros or any other real money!

Here’s another important tip: don’t forget to add a delivery time for every product! This is super important, because it lets your customers know how long it’ll take you to make something for them. :clock2:

• It’s fine to add extra days to the delivery time if life has been busy for you, or if you spend less time on Hopscotch then you usually do, but remember that customers have to wait for their product too.
  • :x::x: Don’t go overtime with your requests, or it can lead to trouble! (Examples include currency disputes and loss of reputation, which are both things you really need to stay away from.)
  • When accepting product requests, make sure you let the customer know that you may need extra time to work on other orders too! You should clarify this in your shop.

You can list your products in a list or table format! Be sure to describe exactly what you’re delivering to customers, so they know exactly what they’re getting. It might help to provide an example of what you’re making, and explain what kind of project your product could fit into.

Lastly, make sure you let your customers know when you want to be paid! It’s safest to get half of the payment at the beginning of the order, and then the other half of the payment at the end when you’re done with the order, so you don’t get ripped off, and so you provide security to your customer, too. If you’re not concerned about security, then it can be best to ask for all of the seeds at once when you’re finished.

Tony decided to use seeds for his shop, because it would help him earn more to pay for new content in seed games. He also decided to use balloons, because he wanted to be generous and support the forum with his work:

Backgrounds :cityscape:

Beautifully painted scenery, like nature and cities, for use in your Hopscotch games, like platformers!
For more examples, see my best art portfolio of paintings, as well as the projects on my Hopscotch account! Scroll up to see all of my best work.

1 scenic painting: :seedling: 20 seeds or :balloon: 2 balloons
:clock1: Delivery time: 2 days

2 building sprites: :seedling: 10 seeds or :balloon: 1 balloon

• Here’s a link to some building sprites I made in the past!
  • Describe the building, and feel free to choose a photo for reference
  • I’ll remake it and make it look fancy to use in your next project!
  • I’ll deliver you a transparent sprite based on your description and/or reference. I’ll tag you when it’s ready through the drawing topic!

Music :musical_note:

Mystical, lag-free melodies for games, trail art projects, or
For examples, take a listen to the projects I linked above!

1 piece of original coded music: :seedling: 25 seeds or :balloon: 2.5 balloons
:clock1: Delivery time: 3 days

• Here’s an example of a melody I composed in Hopscotch!
  • Beautifully arranged original compositions
  • Choose one (1) format for me to make to you:
    • A string of notes compatible with @Awesome_E’s music engine
      • I’ll deliver this to you via a forum post and a Hopscotch project!
    • Sheet music
      • I’ll deliver this to you through a forum post!

I also offer rush services! For :seedling: 15 extra seeds or :balloon: 1.5 extra balloons, I’ll make your product one day faster than listed!

Please note that I might have other orders to finish too, so times may vary! I’ll let you know if your order might take a bit longer than expected before you pay.

Again, if you think using image banners for your products would make them look cooler, feel free to do that instead!

Step 10: Ordering products :shopping_cart:

In order for customers to order, you’ll need to provide your customers with a form to fill out that will help them order your products! A form lets you and your customers organize info for every single individual order, so everyone knows exactly what they’re hoping to get and deliver, and also so you know which Hopscotch account to expect payment from.

Here’s some info you’ll want to add to that form:

• Hopscotch username (always add this if you’re using seeds and want to keep track of the payment using Hopscotch notifications!)
  • Product(s) to be purchased
  • Purchase details
    • Details about the art, code or music to be made, like themes or mechanics
    • Rush services?
  • Special requests
  • Anything other info you might need for your delivered product to be the best it can be!

Step 11: Finalize and publish! :sparkles:

Now it’s time to make sure everything is good! Read through your entire shop, and try to find any mistakes with your banner, portfolio, shop/product descriptions, or pricing.

If you see any mistakes, now’s the time to fix them before you publish! Also, if you’d like to add any disclaimers to your shop, now is the time to do so!

It’s also nice and polite to say thanks to your customer for visiting your shop. Remember to do so if you would like to!

Finally, make sure to add this notice to the very top of your shop, just like it says you should in the Community Guideline:

Then you’re done! Feel free to publish your new shop! :tada::tada:

Any questions? :speaking_head:

If you have anything you’d like to ask about this, please feel free to reply!

I hope this topic helps you have fun making fabulous new shops! :smile:

21 Likes

Tony’s Art Shop (Example) :art:

Here's the shop topic Tony made in the end. You can use this as a reference! Click here to see it!

This event/competition/challenge is started by me (@ yourself) and all the currencies, rewards, and prizes are handled by me, not Hopscotch. You can find other similar self-started events in the Latest Collabs, Requests & Competition Topics , or even start one yourself. Because this is started by me, Hopscotch and the forum leaders are not involved or responsible in any of the transactions here.

Welcome to my shop! Here, I make digital paintings for your games and projects, and I make the beautiful music you love to hear in Hopscotch.

My Hopscotch Projects

I’ve got 2 excellent games and plenty of art!

The art and music here is very similar to what I’m selling!

Shop

Backgrounds :cityscape:

Beautifully painted scenery, like nature and cities, for use in your Hopscotch games, like platformers!
For more examples, see my best art portfolio of paintings, as well as the projects on my Hopscotch account! Scroll up to see all of my best work.

1 scenic painting: :seedling: 20 seeds or :balloon: 2 balloons

2 building sprites: :seedling: 10 seeds or :balloon: 1 balloon

• Here’s a link to some building sprites I made in the past!
  • Describe the building, and feel free to choose a photo for reference
  • I’ll remake it and make it look fancy to use in your next project!
  • I’ll deliver you a transparent sprite based on your description and/or reference. I’ll tag you when it’s ready through the drawing topic!

Music :musical_note:

Mystical, lag-free melodies for games, trail art projects, or
For examples, take a listen to the projects I linked above!

1 piece of original coded music: :seedling: 25 seeds or :balloon: 2.5 balloons
:clock1: Delivery time: 3 days

• Here’s an example of a melody I composed in Hopscotch!
  • Beautifully arranged original compositions
  • Choose one (1) format for me to make to you:
    • A string of notes compatible with @Awesome_E’s music engine
      • I’ll deliver this to you via a forum post and a Hopscotch project!
    • Sheet music
      • I’ll deliver this to you through a forum post!

I also offer rush services! For :seedling: 15 extra seeds or :balloon: 1.5 extra balloons, I’ll make your product one day faster than listed!

Please note that I might have other orders to finish too, so times may vary! I’ll let you know if your order might take a bit longer than expected before you pay.

Order Form

• Your Hopscotch username:
  • What kind of product do you want to order?
    • Describe you want me to make (theme, subject, mood, etc.):
  • Would you like to rush the order?
  • Do you have any special requests or questions?
  • Do you agree to pay me half of the seeds or balloons now, and then the rest when I’m done with your order?

Thanks so much for checking out my shop! I hope you have a good day! :)

Hey, thanks so much for checking out and reading this topic! :)

I worked really hard on this topic, and I hope it helps you! I’ve taken several different business concepts from the real world that work really well, and I applied them to a forum-friendly shopmaking process! Remember though that this is just a guide - in the end, you always have the first say with how your shops look in the end, as long as it follows forum rules!

This is a pretty extensive guide, made to cover the ins and outs of shopkeeping, as well as to get you started. Feel free to skim through the guide and refer to certain parts! If you get confused by anything, let me know, and we can talk about it!

Please remember to be responsible with handing out seeds and balloons! Always try to pay each other back the right amounts, and make sure you have enough currency to give before giving away to others!

Last, but definitely not least, always remember that your customers might be your forum friends too, and other people see your behavior. So remember to be nice to everyone!

Thanks so much! :smile:

15 Likes

omg giant guide.

This is super useful!
Good job

3 Likes

Thanks!! Let me know if you have any questions. :D

3 Likes

edit this to “@Rawrbear

3 Likes

Why did I not get taged? why can I not spell right now

2 Likes

Ahem

2 Likes

Don’t worry; you saw it anyways! Besides, I’ll reply to you with the topic link right now :)

3 Likes

Amazing! Btw… maybe there should be like a certificate of holding an account…

4 Likes

I realize now that this topic is… well, to put it simply, absolutely massive.

I might have to make a shorter reference guide later, I guess! Hopefully the table of contents is helpful enough for you - I added a lot of different insights to make your shop really good, if you have an idea of what your shop would look like, but you’re stuck on a particular step!

If you’re interested in knowing everything I’ve added, it might be worth devoting a chunk of time (thirty minutes, more or less) to read through the topic carefully and take notes! There’s a lot I’ve crammed into a ~20,000 word post.

Let me know how I can help!

7 Likes

awesome guide dude!! gonna be super helpful for everyone :))

9 Likes

Thanks! I’m happy to help :)

5 Likes

I’m not sure @everyone will read it… it’s very long

1 Like

If you plan to make a shop with this guide, just remember to split up the reading with every step and follow the instructions! Take it step by step, and you’ll get there! And you can always take a break too.

5 Likes

Awesome!
I’ll definitely take my time to read all of this!

3 Likes

Whoops, good eye! There is one change I wanted to make, so I’ll definitely ask for this to be changed too. Thanks!

4 Likes

looks like you may have broken some records here!

7 Likes

Thanks, this is very helpful
I think I start planning a shop rn

6 Likes

epic, I’m planning a shop now so this is super helpful haha

4 Likes

someone is on other then meeeeee yay

3 Likes