Good News! New research has been found!

wow
jokes
trolls
thinktwice

It turns out that...

NOT EVERYTHING IS A TROLLING/RUDENESS ATTEMPT

New research in the obscure field of "social interaction" has uncovered considerable data pointing to the startling conclusion that sometimes... people make:

JOKES

Jokes are a highly nuanced form of human-to-human communication with the intent of delivering a sensation of humour to either the joke teller or the joke receiver (usually both). They are similar to trolling in that both forms of communication work indirectly, with the intended meaning of the message contained somewhere beside the literal, surface meaning of the string of words in the message or sentence, but distinct from trolling in that the primary intent is usually not antagonisitic or incendiary.

When you go posting on any forums (including this one of course), carry this new knowledge with you, it'll prove its usefulness in discerning the intended meaning behind people's messages. Anytime you see a post that angers you, instead of jumping to conclusions, ask yourself:

"Is this post joking?"

Sometimes, the answer may surprise you!

Now that you are aware of the existence and prevalence of jokes, you will probably start noticing the, all over the place, even in many posts you previously flagged. You may start seeing the world and its inhabitants in a much better light, now that you are beginning to realise that:

NOT EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET YOU.

In fact, some people just want to make you laugh! When you encounter a situation like this, allow it to affect your patterns of response; maybe this time you will tell them that their joke was funny, or build upon it by playing along, instead of insulting them or telling them they are not a good troll!

I hope that you have been enlightened by this topic and that you can use this newfound knowledge in your day to day lives.

Thank you very much for reading this topic.

OMTL

**Sorry, I'm too lazy to edit out the whole intro to the OMTL but I'm sure it will serve its duty in tagging you regardless.

First, this topic was not my idea. But @PopTart0219 left and people are using outdated OMTLs. I believe I got an updated version.

GUIDELINES:

Do not overuse - Use it once per subject, and only use it in general topics for new projects.(only once a month for gen topics)

Use it in the post you want people to see - Nobody likes scrolling. Well, some people do.

Only use it for things you can contribute to - Something something don't tag for smol potatoes.

Put it in a details folder - Put an empty line before the details folder.

Keep the count going - Increase the count when you add yourself, decrease it when you remove yourself.

Don't tamper with the list - It's annoying when someone messes it up.

Keep the list in alphabetical order - This is a semi new tradition, making it easier to remove yourself.

I missed a lot of guidelines, I think, so please put in any you can remember.

HOW TO USE

Quote this, select all and cut.
Open a text editor and paste. Remove [/quote] and everything above the list. Select all, cut and paste on your topic.

Alternatively, quote this, select all and remove [/quote] and everything above the list. Select all, cut and paste on your topic.

If you are using a computer, you can quote and select just the list (click on one end of the list, and shift+click the other end), cut and paste on your topic.

OMTL

List (120 Tags)
@BB-Box
@A.K_Studios46
@Allyb
@Artistic_cat
@ArtyAnimal
@AvocadoDont
@Awesome_giraffe
@AwesomeNachos
@BaconStudios
@BerryFOX
@BlastFusion
@braybraylovesmonkeys
@BubblegumCupcakeMix
@ButterBark
@celine
@ChocolateFox
@CodePerfect
@codingkit
@ColorlessCanvas
@ColourfulBlack
@ConnellCoder
@CreationsOfaNoob
@cupcakemaniac1
@Cutedolphin
@DatKawaiiPillow
@DECODECO
@DiamondDragon
@diss_track_queen
@DMF
@DragonMc
@Dylan329
@EmojiArts
@EmojisRUs
@Explorer_
@ExquisiteSoup
@FascinatingTreehouse
@FCD
@FearlessPhoenix
@FluffyMarshmellow
@FreshGuppy
@FunkyGoldfish
@GiraffeProductions
@GLaDOS_On_Da_Forum
@Gobli09
@Goobrgrlrye
@gryphonroadblocks
@happy12345678910
@HappyPerson
@Himynameismeredith1
@Hitokage
@Houseelf87
@HRR1213
@IKeudin
@ILoveFashion12
@Jess888
@Jojo
@JonnyGamer
@KawaiiHotDog
@KawaiiOaktree3
@Kayro
@kenlauescuadro
@KiraForPrez
@KoolM123
@Kosho
@kubajr
@KVJ
@LavenderArts
@LegendOfFriday
@Mei-The-Riolu
@Milkypup
@Mothwolf
@Mr.rex
@NeoPixel
@Petrichor
@Paige1212
@Paydent12
@PerfectPanda24
@Periwinkle_Dolphin
@PianoGorilla2006
@PIANOMAN
@Pink_Roses
@Potter_Head
@PumpkinGirl
@Puppylulu
@PurpleStorybook
@Rainboom
@Rider
@RubyStars
@RubyWolf1
@ScarySweetheart
@Sensei_Coder
@shamrockcat
@Silverdolphin
@Skyarmygenral
@SnowGirl_Studios
@sophia71205
@StarKid
@StarryDream
@Steelhooves
@StRiKe_Charler123
@Strongerthanyou
@Sugarisyummy
@Sweater
@TACOCODE
@TheDrawer
@TheMasterOfAirjitzu
@treefrogstudios
@TrevCoding
@UnderagedCoder1
@Valgo
@ValueGamesStudio
@Vortex.inc
@W-Healer
@waddlemarco
@weathercats
@WhiteFeathers
@William04GamerA
@Work_kids_coding
@Yellow_Mellow
@YuxinaYammy
@Zachyswag
Get the latest list here: http://forum.gethopscotch.com/t/omtl-topic-two-official-mass-tag-list-topic-two/35013

Don't enter this topic if u don't like me (ella_13)

Nice topic!

Thank you very much. I'm glad you liked it.

Is this topic a joke

((applause)) ..........

I think this might have been helpful for some people in previous occurances where fighting could've been avoided

clap

I can feel the sarcasm dripping from every word of this topic...

I've never seen a better or more interesting public service announcement in my life!

thunderous applause

Nicely written, @Jojo! This was quite interesting to read.

However, if the joke is inappropriate, it is still not allowed and should be flagged.

++111111111

:)

The thing with jokes on the internet is they are hard to notice because we can't see someone's facial expression or hear their tone of voice.

Yeah it was interesting to think about this.

I was thinking about Paper's Community Guidelines too:

Additionally, the internet can make communication more difficult; give people the benefit of the doubt if they phrase something in a way that seems a little rough.

A comment made in humour can hurt someone else though. What is one person's idea of funny might not be the same to someone else's.

...comes in many forms. But whether it’s threats, mockery, trollery, insults, degradation, or intimidation, it’s just being lame, and it’s absolutely not appropriate here. Before engaging someone, ask yourself if you’d feel comfortable doing the same thing if they were standing right in front of you. Think twice, be nice.

Communication is hard :grin:

There is also the side of keeping others' in mind always, I guess, too:

Be respectful. Respect is like a boomerang, it always comes back to you. Every other rule on here stems from this one. Respect is treating other people like you want to be treated, maybe even a little better. Trust us, this one will pay off.

and The Universal Rules of Civilised Discourse:

Well, it's full of sarcasm and it is intended to give the sensation of humour to you and I, so yes, yes it is.

((bows))

I wish I could have made a topic like this earlier. Maybe I could turn this into a series where I speak about other topics that could help our community in an almost mocking and sarcastic way while still being sincere.

Thank you so much! I hope I can make more enjoyable and entertaining responses to issues like this in the future.

Thank you very much! Of course if the jokes in the post are inappropriate or offensive they should be flagged. My post is more about considering that the jokes are there in the first place. You may then go on to determine whether the joke is appropriate or not.

Exactly, that's why it's important to not only correctly word jokes, which hopefully I have been able to do successfully here, but also make sure that we give people a chance and see what the intention behind the post truly is.

I really like this post. Maybe I should make a new topic about correctly wording a joke to make sure that it isn't taken the wrong way.

(Waggles eyebrows) i see what you did there

Wat, nice thing to read lol

well some jokes could offend people so

Have you read my follow up on this topic?

Just in case anyone wanted an image version of this to share with their non-forum friends or even enemies!

I'm sorry for reusing the OMTL but this topic got such a positive response that I thought you'd all want to see this.

OMTL

I am once again too lazy to edit this out but I'm sure you'll all still be tagged

First, this topic was not my idea. But @PopTart0219 left and people are using outdated OMTLs. I believe I got an updated version.

GUIDELINES:

Do not overuse - Use it once per subject, and only use it in general topics for new projects.(only once a month for gen topics)

Use it in the post you want people to see - Nobody likes scrolling. Well, some people do.

Only use it for things you can contribute to - Something something don't tag for smol potatoes.

Put it in a details folder - Put an empty line before the details folder.

Keep the count going - Increase the count when you add yourself, decrease it when you remove yourself.

Don't tamper with the list - It's annoying when someone messes it up.

Keep the list in alphabetical order - This is a semi new tradition, making it easier to remove yourself.

I missed a lot of guidelines, I think, so please put in any you can remember.

HOW TO USE

Quote this, select all and cut.
Open a text editor and paste. Remove [/quote] and everything above the list. Select all, cut and paste on your topic.

Alternatively, quote this, select all and remove [/quote] and everything above the list. Select all, cut and paste on your topic.

If you are using a computer, you can quote and select just the list (click on one end of the list, and shift+click the other end), cut and paste on your topic.

OMTL

List (120 Tags)
@BB-Box
@A.K_Studios46
@Allyb
@Artistic_cat
@ArtyAnimal
@AvocadoDont
@Awesome_giraffe
@AwesomeNachos
@BaconStudios
@BerryFOX
@BlastFusion
@braybraylovesmonkeys
@BubblegumCupcakeMix
@ButterBark
@celine
@ChocolateFox
@CodePerfect
@codingkit
@ColorlessCanvas
@ColourfulBlack
@ConnellCoder
@CreationsOfaNoob
@cupcakemaniac1
@Cutedolphin
@DatKawaiiPillow
@DECODECO
@DiamondDragon
@diss_track_queen
@DMF
@DragonMc
@Dylan329
@EmojiArts
@EmojisRUs
@Explorer_
@ExquisiteSoup
@FascinatingTreehouse
@FCD
@FearlessPhoenix
@FluffyMarshmellow
@FreshGuppy
@FunkyGoldfish
@GiraffeProductions
@GLaDOS_On_Da_Forum
@Gobli09
@Goobrgrlrye
@gryphonroadblocks
@happy12345678910
@HappyPerson
@Himynameismeredith1
@Hitokage
@Houseelf87
@HRR1213
@IKeudin
@ILoveFashion12
@Jess888
@Jojo
@JonnyGamer
@KawaiiHotDog
@KawaiiOaktree3
@Kayro
@kenlauescuadro
@KiraForPrez
@KoolM123
@Kosho
@kubajr
@KVJ
@LavenderArts
@LegendOfFriday
@Mei-The-Riolu
@Milkypup
@Mothwolf
@Mr.rex
@NeoPixel
@Petrichor
@Paige1212
@Paydent12
@PerfectPanda24
@Periwinkle_Dolphin
@PianoGorilla2006
@PIANOMAN
@Pink_Roses
@Potter_Head
@PumpkinGirl
@Puppylulu
@PurpleStorybook
@Rainboom
@Rider
@RubyStars
@RubyWolf1
@ScarySweetheart
@Sensei_Coder
@shamrockcat
@Silverdolphin
@Skyarmygenral
@SnowGirl_Studios
@sophia71205
@StarKid
@StarryDream
@Steelhooves
@StRiKe_Charler123
@Strongerthanyou
@Sugarisyummy
@Sweater
@TACOCODE
@TheDrawer
@TheMasterOfAirjitzu
@treefrogstudios
@TrevCoding
@UnderagedCoder1
@Valgo
@ValueGamesStudio
@Vortex.inc
@W-Healer
@waddlemarco
@weathercats
@WhiteFeathers
@William04GamerA
@Work_kids_coding
@Yellow_Mellow
@YuxinaYammy
@Zachyswag
Get the latest list here: http://forum.gethopscotch.com/t/omtl-topic-two-official-mass-tag-list-topic-two/35013

I guess you can call this

A jojoke

Haha! You could I guess.

Did you realise that by touching screens we could be giving technology rashes?

That leads me to one Question...

Am i boT rash?

I missed an I...

That will fit in r/Jokes; you will get a lot of karma, at least: -50..
or maybe that's what my average is